Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

|1|

(14 years later)

  "Morning Eve." I glanced up at the speakers and placed the book I was reading on the table beside me.

  "Hello Dr. Kahled, how are you this fine morning?" I asked as I spun in my chair so I could look through the large glass window. Dr. Kahled was an old man with hair so white that it seemed silver when he stood under light. In his hands he had the usual: a folder, a pen and a small metal tin with my tablets in. He opened a small slot in the metal door next to the glass window and slid the tin into my room. I watched as it skidded across the smooth floor and ended next to my feet.

  "I will be much happier when I see you take those tablets, Eve." I picked up the tin and counted the number of multicolored tablets. Five, just like usual. I placed them on the table and grabbed a glass of water from the filtered jug that was already prepared for me this morning.

  "How are my parents?" I asked as I dropped the tablets into my palm and then quickly chucked them into my mouth, washing them down with a glass of water. I saw Dr. Kahled nod with appreciation when I walked over to the door and slid the tin back to the other side.

  "Well done Eve. Your parents, they are very well. They were quite busy as you know preparing for the annual hunt." He paused as if he was remembering something. "Of course they will be coming down to see you later today."

I nodded and watched as the doctor bid me goodbye and slowly walked away, leaving me staring out of the window at an empty room.

★☾★

  "You know something Eve; I just don't understand why they can't get you a mobile phone. I mean it's just the most logical thing in the world isn't it. Get your Dad to buy you a phone so I don't have to bloody walk a mile to see my best friend," Gemma rants.

I burst into giggles as I watch Gemma's face slowly change colours before she ends up looking like a tomato ready to burst.

  "What? Why are you laughing?" I just shake my head.

"I think the whole phone thing is really just because it's one less thing to sterilise." Gemma rolls her eyes and takes a seat in the opposite room. For a second I forget that there is a glass window separating us and I imagine us sitting together in my room, joking around and being typical teenagers. But then I reach forward and I place a hand on the window and I feel the sharp coldness of the glass and my imagination shatters into fragments.

Gemma sees my face fall and she reaches forward and places her hand opposite me.

  "Hey, one day you will get out of here and that day I will take you everywhere. First I will take you to Mora's and we will order the double sundae, chocolate chip fudge with marshmallows on top." I sigh as I feel my mouth water. "Then we will go shopping and then we will hit the cinema and watch whatever movie you want to."

I smile. "And then..."

Gemma lets out a short laugh before leaning in so close that her breath fogs up the glass. "...And then we will go to the forest and I will show you my wolf."

I let out a yelp and jump from the chair, clapping my hands in the air. It might seem pathetic that I live in a pack of werewolves and I have never seen a person transform into their wolf.

My excitement however gets too much and I have to stop to dry heave when a pain starts in my chest.

  "Woah Eve, are you alright?" I can see Gemma standing up, her hands splayed across the glass and her green eyes wide in fear.