Chapter 61: Death in the Woods

It was a peaceful sleep. It was the most peaceful sleep she ever had that she decided not to wake up. I stared down at the lifeless body in my arms. She looked serene and pure and I didn't want to disturb the peace she had found but I just couldn't stop myself from crying loudly as if doing it would result into her coming back. But she wouldn't. Not anymore. Not in this lifetime.

Aiden was sitting across from us; he looked tired as he leaned on a tree like it was the only thing that was giving him strength at the moment. I wanted to speak with him and I knew that he, too, wanted to say something. But the pain we were feeling could not be expressed in words that we decided to show it through our tears. Unlike my loud crying, Aiden was grieving quietly – too quiet and I knew that the pain he was feeling was too deep that if I touch him, everything would crumble down. He was too fragile and vulnerable; I was afraid that a single snap might break him into pieces.

I didn't know how they started a friendship and how it progressed. But my heart understood him. It remembered the way it felt when the first person I loved when I was young decided to leave everything behind – including me. I thought that we would never meet again after that unsaid farewell, until the stars decided to grant my wishes and shipped me to the pirate world.

However, Aiden and Dorothy's story was different. It was just starting and then it ended too soon – killing all the possibilities for them to meet again; died with the untold wishes they could have made. And that was why I was also crying for him. I was grieving for this young man's heart.

We stayed like that for hours. We didn't even notice the sun setting on the western horizon giving way to the darkness that lacked of the stars. It was getting darker and darker that Aiden and I were starting to have difficulty seeing things around us. It was when the nocturnal animals started making their sounds when we saw a faint light from a distance. Dorothy was getting colder in my arms and even though I knew that she was long gone, I still held her tightly and protectively.

At first, we saw a torch fire breaking through the darkness of the woods and then a loud whistle that tamed all the sound of the crickets on the bush. The horse we stole, forgotten and tied on one of the trunks, neighed loudly as if answering to the call.

"I found the horse!"

A man called to his companions and then I heard steps rushing to our direction. The light was blinding. I stopped crying and shielded my eyes from the torches of the newcomers. There was silence from them as they studied the situation.

"She... She's here! They're h-here!" the man called again as he stuttered.

More footsteps were coming. I should be worried for I was still unable to recognize these men but I also found myself lacking of strength to care at all. They could be another group of assassins to take me down and I could be their easy target. I would be saving the strength left in me to beg them to spare Aiden's life.

Suddenly, the men were brushed aside giving way to the person leading the group. And I sobbed again due to the relief I felt when I saw who it was. The Skull immediately rushed to my side; cradling my tear-stained face in his firm, calloused hands. He was so warm; contrast to the cold body on my lap. And I wanted to lean on him. I wanted to succumb to his warmth. His thumb grazed the cut on my cheek and I saw his eyes darkened as he checked my body for more injuries finding another wound on my shoulder and an arrow on my leg.

"Tell me who fucking did this to you and I'll kill him." He was furious. The woods might be shaking from his sudden bloodlust. But I shook my head at him and looked down at Dorothy with grief in my eyes.