fifty three

For twelve hours, Richie sat by Eddie's side. The medical procedure took a long time, as the weapon was lodged deep and could spread infection unless they got into the wound and healed it.

They made Richie stay out of the room until they had closed the cut, as long as the other minor wounds on his legs and arms. When Eddie's cuts were closed, Richie was allowed inside, and he sat there, waiting for Eddie to wake up.

His breathing was slow and deep, showing that he was slowly healing. After a few hours of sitting next to Eddie, Edwin returned and reported that they'd managed to draw a line between the two sides, with the Tenebrian alliance taking the village and the larger part of the island, but the Lucantians had managed to escape and had all of their weapons and supplies with them.

"Klais?" Richie asked, a blank expression on his face. He was holding Eddie's hand and staring straight ahead. "What happened to him?"

"He escaped," Edwin said, patting Richie's tense shoulder. "His guards had orders to save him and come after him if something were to happen. We had to run or we'd have been killed."

Richie looked at Eddie. He was sleeping peacefully, a large white bandage wrapped around his center to protect the wound from infection.

"I'm going to kill him," Richie said, brushing Eddie's sweaty hair away from his face. "I swear, I'll make him pay."

"You shouldn't go in looking for vengeance," Edwin said, pulling Richie's attention to him. "If you do that, he'll find a way to use what you love against you. From the looks of it, he already has."

"He deserves death, Edwin. He killed Iris and nearly killed Eddie! How many more people have to die before you see that he needs to be murdered in order for the rest of us to survive?!" Richie wasn't yelling, scared to wake Eddie, but his voice was definitely louder than it had been. "Look at him and fucking tell me that he should be allowed to live!"

Edwin grabbed Richie's shoulder so firmly it scared Richie into making eye contact. "Listen to me right now," Edwin said in a low voice, visibly startling Richie. "I am looking at him. Do you think he'd want you to become a psychotic murderer because he got injured? And you better answer me before I get Aviana and Katie in here, because they won't be as nice as I am."

Richie sighed, watching Eddie shift in his sleep, his hand moving over the wound on his stomach. "No, I know he wouldn't," he said, defeated. "Don't use him against me."

"I'm right, though, brother," Edwin said, walking toward the door to the room. "He's the most important thing in your life, so don't use vengeance as your motivation. Use your love for him."

With that, he left the room.

•••

The first thing that registered in Eddie's mind when he woke up was the overwhelming throbbing in his head. He groaned and reached his hand up to touch it, when another pain shot through his stomach, making him whine in pain.

"Hey, it's okay," a soft voice whispered, drawing Eddie to open his eyes.

He saw Richie sitting next to him, blurred because of his sleepy eyesight, but he was sitting beside him. He was safe, and that thought alone made Eddie breathe in relief.

"Richie?" he whispered, reaching his hand out to grab onto Richie's to make sure his mind wasn't playing tricks on him. "What happened?"

"You got stabbed and saved. You've been out for twelve hours," Richie said, making Eddie nod his head a few times in understanding.

Eddie laughed softly, blinking a few times. "I feel ready to pass out for another twelve."

"You just woke up."

"Sleep is my religion," Eddie said in a playful tone, making Richie laugh and press a kiss to his cheek. "Do we have a room here or are we stuck in here?"

Richie looked around and realized what Eddie meant; it wasn't a bedroom. They were in the hospital room that the Konillians had constructed on their ship. He lifted Eddie up and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

"Let's go ask the queen," he said playfully, ignoring Eddie's attempts to get him to let go. "I'm not letting you walk, Eds. You're recovering."

Eddie groaned in defeat, knowing there was no way he'd be able to escape his boyfriend's grasp. "Fine, but I expect to be carried everywhere until this bandage comes off," he grumbled, resting his head on Richie's chest.

"Wouldn't have it any other way, my love," Richie said, smiling brightly. He was thrilled that Eddie was already recovering and messing around with him; it meant he wouldn't be stuck in a bed for a week and could probably be moving on his own in a few days.

They found Avi on the main deck. She stood with Jynx, looking out onto Pona. When she noticed Eddie was out of bed, she instantly started yelling at Richie.

"You know he's not supposed to be out of bed! He's recovering you dumbass! You idiots have probably undone all of the doctor's hard work!" she yelled, glaring at the pair.

Richie shrugged. "Didn't want to sleep in the hospital room, sis. Is there a room we can sleep in or do we need to go to the town?"

Avi glared at them. "Downstairs to the left. Second door," she said, though her distaste for their actions was loud and clear.

Richie thanked her and Eddie waved, Richie carrying Eddie all the way to the room. It was one of the nicer ones, with a big bed and a fireplace that was already lit, keeping the room warm.

After gently placing Eddie on the bed and throwing a log in the fire, Richie laid down next to him and cupped his face and pressed a slow, lazy kiss to his lips.

"You scared me, Eds," he whispered, brushing his thumb over Eddie's cheek.

"Damn, sorry a psychopath stabbed me in the stomach," Eddie giggled, smiling at Richie with adoration in his eyes. "I'm glad you're not dead."

"Thanks," Richie said with another laugh. "I'm glad you're not dead, too."

Eddie pressed another kiss to Richie's lips, breathing slowly and in time with the other.

"We're gonna get through this, Eds. I promise we will," Richie whispered, pressing their foreheads together as they both drifted to sleep.

——————

That was kind of a filler, but I think y'all deserve a fluffy chapter because I lowkey broke all of you yesterday