Chapter 5

I walk into the cafe to see Paige and Ali sitting in the back. I join them.

"So how was it?" Ali giggles.

"Coach Johnson annoys me," I roll my eyes.

I tell them about the paper I was "supposed" to write, and then I tell them what I actually wrote.

"You have balls," Ali giggles.

"He's so annoying!" I groan.

"I saw you blush the first time you looked at him," Paige says quietly.

"Jo has a crush!" Ali coos.

"Stop! Okay, maybe he's cute, but we don't get along. He's my teacher anyways, and nothing more," I defend myself.

"That's what you think," Paige winks.

I giggle.

"We hit heads hard. I don't think I'll ever get along with him," I say.

"Maybe someday," Paige smiles.

Yeah, maybe.

"I'm gonna miss you a lot!" mom grins.

"I'll miss you too," I pull her into a hug.

"If you need anything you have me, and you can always call your dad," she smiles.

"I will mom. Have fun!" I smile, as she walks to her car.

I wave to her as she drives off. After heading back inside, I sigh. Dad hasn't called yet, and I miss him like crazy.

At school the next morning, I wipe my eyes and check myself in the mirror. Last night wasn't pleasant. All I could think about were my parents, and how much I wanted them back together.

"Are you okay?" I hear a voice.

Coach Johnson.

"I'm fine," I snarl.

"You don't look fine," he retorts.

"I said I'm fine!" I yell.

"Whatever," he says, walking away.

Now I feel even worse. I shouldn't have snapped. He didn't even know what was going on.

I find Paige and she looks at me concerned.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"This divorce," I choke out, not able to say anymore.

Paige hugs me tightly.

"I know it's tough. To tell you the truth, I've never met my dad. I have a step dad, who I've known since I was a baby, but I've never met my real dad. I do think about him sometimes. I know it's not the same, but remember your parents do love you," Paige smiles.

I  realize she is right and I immediately start to feel a little bit better.

"Do you know who your real dad is?" I ask.

"All my mom will say is that he's some low life who left her as soon as she got pregnant. I've always wanted to find him, but I don't want to upset my mom," Paige frowns. 

"I think that one day you'll find him," I smile.

"I hope you're right."

The warning bell rings and Paige and I head to English.

"Good morning Mr. Montgomery," I smile at one of the only teachers I actually like.

"Good morning Josephine. I heard what happened in detention yesterday," he smirks.