Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

“Ava, what the hell is this?” Carter asks, throwing a newspaper onto my lap.

I stare at him, confused, and then turn my gaze upon the newspaper, proceeding to read the headline:

RICHMOND BRIDE A WAITRESS?

Before I can read the rest, Carter snatches the newspaper and continues to read what’s under the headline, “New Richmond Bride is caught waiting tables at a cafe located in downtown manhattan. ‘Are the Richmonds low on funds?’ is the question that plagues our minds as pictures surface of the newly married Ava Richmond working at a cafe after her wedding to Carter Richmond.” He then turns his eyes to me, “So, what is this paper talking about?”

I had been helping Anita in the kitchen when Carter had so rudely barged in, I look over at Anita from the stool I was sitting on, “Anita, could I have a private chat with Carter?” I ask.

She nods and leaves.

I then turn back to Carter, “I went to go visit a friend at this cafe I used to work at, I felt bad because I didn’t tell her or anyone I worked with that I was quitting and getting married. When I got there, we talked for a bit, I then helped her out because she was left to care for the shop alone. Is there something wrong with helping out a friend?”

“There’s nothing wrong with helping a friend, Ava but, as I have told you a million times before, you are a Richmond, what you do and how you choose to act reflects on the name you now have, and do you think this reflects well?” He asks, irritation evident in his tone.

“It’s not my fault the idiot reporter twisted that story! I was only helping Gracie!” I exclaim.

“That’s besides the point, Ava!”, Carter runs his hand through his brown hair, “You are lucky I know the editor of this newspaper, some stupid reporter thought this would boost the sales of the newspaper, and an apology will be posted in the next issue, tomorrow.”

“Well, that wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t always abandon me at home while you went to work.” I pout, “But I guess that’s your job, so, it’s okay, I guess.”

His expression softens, “Okay, well, how about this, you and I are going some where.” he says confidently.

                                                  *            *           *

Carter had called his dad and told him that he needed a day off work.

Sean didn’t particularly agree with Carter’s decision to skip work, but I guess from Carter’s expression, he didn’t care.

He then proceeded to book a last minute flight to wherever it was he wanted to go. He told me it was a day trip and asked me to pack lightly.

A two hour and fifteen minute flight and a half an hour drive later, we reached a horse ranch in a few miles away from a small town in Alabama, which was strange to me because I didn’t ever hear of the fact that Carter or his family owned a horse ranch.

BOB’S HORSE RANCH

Was plastered on a wooden board and hung at the entrance of the horse ranch, I guess the horse ranch didn’t belong to Carter and his family, but to this Bob person, “Who is Bob?” I ask curiously.

He doesn’t answer me because he seems to have spotted someone he’s familiar with.

“Carter? Why, is this a ghost I see?” the voice of a middle aged man fills my ears. I turn to look for the owner of said voice, and see a man standing on the porch of a reasonably sized house in the middle of all this land.

The sounds of horses neighing is a little distant, but I can see a horse or two kept in a closed area eating hay, a neigh or two escaping a  building that seems to be close to the enclosed area. There must be more horses there.

The area a few miles behind the house seems very lush with greenery, apple tree’s and all sorts of other tree’s populate it, and they seem to beautify the land even more.

“Nope, it’s really me, Uncle Bob.” He says, grinning.

Bob smiles and hugs Carter as soon as we are close enough to him, “Come here, my boy!” they’re then joined in the kind of hug a father and son would have. When Bob pulls away and looks at me, he’s surprised,”Is this a girl I see, Carter? Who is she?”

“My wife. Sorry I didn’t invite you to the wedding, I just thought you might not want to come since you never really liked the kind of lifestyle I lived in New York.”

“You know me well then, my boy!” he says, chuckling. He turns to me, “Nevertheless, I’m glad to meet you, Miss?” he offers me his hand.

“Ava.” I say, smiling,  and I reach out and shake his hand.

“Ava! Such a pretty name!” he says. Bob seems sturdy for a man his age, he’s quite tall and he seems like a very friendly man. “Come on in, kids!” he tells us, and we both enter the house.