III: Give Me Love \\ Ed Sheeran

It's the last day of school and our project is due today. I know what I did at the treehouse is gonna make everything awkward between me and Sabrina but I have hope.

"Hey, Sabrina." I say before class starts.

"Hey, are you ready for later?" She asks.

"Yeah. Are you?"

"Yup."

"Umm can I talk to you for a sec?" I ask and she nods.

"I'm really sorry about what happened. I hope it doesn't ruin our friendship or anything." I say. That took all my guts to say to her.

"Of course. That was just a... misunderstanding. We better just forget about it." She says and I nod.

But I don't want to forget about it. And I won't.

"Alright, first presenters shall be Blanchard and Short."

So, Jake and Rowan presented their poem. Jake always had feelings for Rowan but he always ignored it because Peyton called dibs. But he's moving on.

"That was wonderful, Ms. Blanchard. Although Mr. Short here was a little nervous." Mrs. Bennedict says as they both sat down.

"Ms. Blanchard, who would you like to present next?" Mrs. Bennedict asks. Rowan was always her favorite.

"I would like Ms. Carpenter to take the stage." She says. Damn it.

Sabrina and I stand up. I'm starting to get a bit nervous.

"Having A Coke With You by Frank O'Hara." Sabrina says.

I recite my lines and so does she. At first, I was a bit nervous and shaky but I started to calm down.

" You suddenly wonder why in the world anyone ever did them." She says. Beautifully, If I may add.

This was it. The part of the poem where I stopped. Where we almost kissed. The memories from the treehouse started bottling up on my mind.

"Bradley!" She whisper-shouts.

I put my paper down and look at her. She had a confused expression on her face. I look at her. Straight in the eyes.

" I look at you and I would rather look at you than all the portraits in the world except possibly for the Polish Rider occasionally and anyway it’s in the Frick which thank heavens you haven’t gone to yet so we can go together the first time and the fact that you move so beautifully more or less takes care of Futurism" I say and I could tell she was shaking.

She fiddled with her paper and started saying her lines.

"...at a rehearsal a single drawing of Leonardo or Michelangelo that used to wow me." She says with a shaky voice. Only keeping eye contact with her paper.

"and what good does all the research of the Impressionists do them when they never got the right person to stand near the tree when the sun sank." I say, lifting her head up so we had eye contact. 

That last line hit me. It reminded me of how the sun hit Sabrina in the treehouse. She'd be the perfect person to stand near the tree when the sun sinks.

We finish the poem and Mrs. Bennedict gives us an applause.

"That was wonderful. I liked that you put a bit of acting in it." She says. Ha. Acting.

"I don't know about you, Mrs. Bennedict but it looked pretty real." Jake says and I glare at him.

"Yeah, they even had me believing it for a moment." Rowan adds.