A Stumble in the Right Direction - A Day with Chicken Poo

"Yes, Yes!" I screamed in the most passionate voice you could ever imagine. "There're finally moving out!!"

You may ask who these people are. Well let me tell you. They are the most annoying neighbours in the whole entire universe! I mean at first they were charming and I actually quite liked them, but then came the 3:00am parties and the loud music 24/7. Heaps of people in our street complained to the counsel about their behaviour, but they never changed. Perhaps they received a kick out notice for ignoring all the warnings they received.  

"Yes, I must admit I won't be sorry to see them go," replied mum with a cheeky grin.

After the thrilling news from mum, my dad happily reminded me how I promised to help in the garden today. Agh, why did I make that stupid promise? I hate gardening it's so boring especially if your dad purchases chicken poo as manure. Last year when he first brought home the manure, our picking neighbour Mrs Morgan was walking by as dad was unloading it from the truck. She came right up to the pile and started lecturing my dad about the smell, and then my crazy dog (who loves people) came up, jumped on her to say hello and she fell into the manure! Whenever you enter her house today you can still smell the aroma of chicken poo (well I guess that's what my dad and I think).

I rushed into my room and put on my green shirt and black shorts, tried up my hair and grabbed my joggers. I knew what awaited me outside, 40 degree heat and shoving chicken poo into a wheelbarrow....Yay I'm soooo excited.

I stepped outside and it hit me, the smell of chicken poo rose into my nose and the sense on the 40 degree heat hit my forehead. I saw dad smile and I walked over to him.

"Okay kiddo, you know the drill, same as last year but this time I don't expect Mrs Moran to grace us with her presents," he said with a giggle.

I got to work, scooping the chicken poo from the ground into the wheelbarrow.

It had been one hour since I started work and dad said I could sit down for a while. The 40 degree heat and the smell of the chicken poo were really getting to me. While I sat there I got a visited from my dog pepper who seemed to feel the same way about the 40 degree heat but not about the chicken poo considering she ate some and now you could see it all through her teeth... Yum.

She came up to lick me as usual but there was no way I was letting that chicken poo eating dog lick me until her mouth was washed and there was no traces of chicken poo.

She realised that I didn't welcome al lick and settled for a pat on the back.

"Come on honey, time to get back to work," shouted dad.

Agh.

"Coming dad," I shouted back.

I went to pick up my shovel and walked down to where the chicken poo was. I prepared myself for another drooling session of lugging around chicken poo.

"Hey honey, I through the Millers had already left," he enquired. 

"Yeah they have," I answered.

"Well why is there a moving van in front of their house?"

"That must be the people that are moving in,"

After an hour more, we went in to have lunch. While we were having lunch we heard barking from outside and realised that we had left pepper outside. I ran outside and standing there being barked at by my dog was Mick Anderson.

I couldn't believe it, his family must be moving in next door. Well that's a pretty fair trade, the Miller's for Mick Anderson.... not bad at all.

"I'm soo sorry, pepper if you don't come here right now; I'll have to put you on the pole of restriction (the pole of restriction is a pole that we tie pepper to if she runs off and starts barking at people),"

I managed to grab pepper and asked Mick if he could hold while I got her lead. I came back outside to pepper licking his face! Do you think I should tell him about the chicken poo stains in her mouth? Probably.

"Umm I wouldn't let her do that if I was you," I said.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Well you're probably wondering why our dog smells like chicken poo,"

"Yeah no offence, but do you ever bath her?"

"Not since this morning when she ate chicken poo,"

He just stared at me and quickly handed pepper to me and I secured her on the leash and tired her to the pole of restriction.  

"Sorry about that," I said trying not to laugh.

"Hey you're Emma from school, right?" he asked.

"Yes I am and then you must be Mick Anderson,"

"Indeed I am, I helped you to your English class,"

"Yes, thanks again for that,"

"Well now you own me, actually you own my twice considering you're dog smothered me in chicken poo,"

"Yeah, my dog has pretty bad habits, but don't worry you're not the only victim last year she pushed someone in it, so consider yourself lucky,"

"Oh well, I better be thankful then."

"Yes you should," there was a moment of silence and he was looking straight at me, his eyes were wide and slowing a smile grew across his face.

"Well I better go home and take a really really long shower," he said while smiling.

"Yes, I would advise that," I answered.

"Okay, well I'll see you around then,"

And with that he left.

"Who was that?" dad asked once he came outside.

"He's moving into the new house, I know him from school,"

"Oh really, well come on the manure won't move itself,"

"Okay, coming," I said as I watched Mick disappear behind the fence.

*Please give feedback*