A Favor

Working in the Mayors office wasn't my lifelong aspiration but after working for a Congressman  who embodied all that was bad in politics, I couldn't get away fast enough.  That's what led me here, to Santo Padre. I always knew i wanted to work in politics, but leaving so abruptly from the office in DC, and under the circumstances, it was difficult to find a job in any level of politics where my old boss wouldn't immediately try and sabotage. Luckily, Santo Padre doesn't even qualify as a dot on a map and, as such, my former boss had no damn idea I was applying here.

Mayor Antonia Pena needed a new Chief of Staff after hers went ghost and never showed up for work again - they still don't know why he bailed or why he never came to get the stuff from his desk, but apparently he his last few months there he started to spiral: drinking all the time, jumpy, bursts of anger... the works. No one was entirely surprised he left, by what I've been told.

Its a pretty mundane gig. The town is, for the most part, quiet. The outlaw biker gang, the Mayans, have some weird unspoken arrangement with the cops where they help keep the town as safe as they can on their respective sides of the law.

We never see much of the outlaws, which is why it is weird as shit that the head of the motorcycle gang just walked into our office and requested an urgent meeting with the mayor. Usually I try and field these requests and take the meeting for her, but in this case she wants to meet directly.

"Come on back, the mayor is ready for you Mr....." I trail off, as I realize I never actually caught his name.

"Just call me Bishop. And this is Taza." He says, gesturing to the man next to him.

"Nice to meet you Bishop and Taza. My name is Lennon. I'll be staffing the meeting." I reply politely.

"Lennon, we were kind of hoping for a private meeting with the Mayor, no offense." Bishop says, running his hand through his hair, seeming a little tense.

"As the Mayor's Chief, it's my job to staff her. If it makes you feel better, whatever you say in there, I'm going to find out anyway. I'm the cogs that make everything run for this office. I take on the grunt work so she can focus on the big picture. It's usually easier for me to hear things directly than getting the recap later." I explain, hoping they understand what it is that I do.

"Ah, so you're the one who makes shit happen" Taza lets off a quick chuckle.

"More or less." I give a light laugh, "she makes the decisions, I coordinate it to make it reality. Makes her life easier and gives me a job."

I open the door the Mayor's office and invite them in. Mayor Pena is reviewing paperwork for the newest city council proposal for repairing the sidewalks by the school.

"Hey boss, our drop in is here" I alert her.

She sees our visitors and promptly puts the papers back into their folder before standing up to greet them.

"Bishop it's so nice to see you again. Or at least I believe it is for now, it depends on what you're about to discuss" Antonia states, trying to sound relaxed, but the rigidness in her body language is hard to ignore.

Bishop smirks, "Well, you know us, always trying to stay out of your hair. That's why we feel bad about coming to you. We need a favor."

Antonia relaxes a little, which I find odd (all things considered). "Well, tell me what I can do for you" she replied confidently.

"One of our guys is locked up in Indio right now. Nothing bad, just a little drunk and disorderly charge after a bar fight. Given the fact that he's wearing his kutte, they seem to be going a little harder on him." Bishop explains.

"Ah yes, those damn biker stereotypes foil a nice evening once again!" Antonia says as she plet off a genuine laugh which Taza and Bishop joined in on as well. "We'll see what we can do. Lennon, I'm going to need you to work this today." Antonia said as her eyes met mine.

"You got it, boss." I nodded quickly. "Now gentleman, why don't we go grab some coffee and you can tell me what it is that we're working with." They both stood up and followed me out of the building and across the street to Tino's Café.

We place get our orders and grab a seat in the back corner.

"Alright Mr. Leader of a motorcycle gang, what's the situation" I say playfully. Humor and playful banter is my go-to for alleviating any tension. People tend to ease up with a fun-loving approach.

"It's not a gang, it's a club. And my official title is president", Bishop says as firmly as he points to the patch on his chest before he lets off a quick laugh. "Anyways, like I told the Mayor, one of our guys is in lock up in Indio. He drank a little too much and some hedge fund lookin' kid got mouthy. Shit escalated, a fight broke out. Hedge fund kid cried about the big bad biker and got off, said he wanted to press charges, and then our guy was hauled away." He states matter-of-factly.

"Ok, that's not too bad." I say as I mull over the facts. "What's his name?" I ask.

"Reyes. Angel Reyes." Taza, who I now see has a Vice-President patch, answers. "Two of our guys, Coco and EZ were with him. They made it back this morning."

"Alright, give me a second and I'll make a call to up there and see what magic I can work" I tell them as I get up and walk outside, not waiting for them to okay my decision.

I google the number to their police department and dial. It rings three times before someone answers.

"Indio Police Department, this is Officer McMann" a monotone voice says.

"Hi, my name is Lennon Parker and I'm the Chief of Staff for Mayor Antonia Pena here in Santo Padre. I hear you have one of our constituents. Who do I need to speak to about the charges and possible release." I say in my 'official and authoritative' voice.

"No one. He's staying here. He's not getting bail given the fact that he's a member of a known criminal group." He finishes his statement and immediately hangs up the phone.

I walk back into the coffee shop not bothering to hide my annoyance.

"That idiot hung up on me. Looks like I'm talking a trip to Indio. Can't hang up on me to my face." I snap as I grab my purse.

Both men raise their eyebrows and look at each other.

"I like your attitude, kid" Taza tells me. "We'll send some of our guys with you."

"It's fine, I should be okay getting there and back." I express, a little confused as to why they'd want someone to accompany me.

"Nah, he's one of ours. And after last night, if Coco and EZ aren't there to talk shit when he gets out, they're gonna feel real sad" Taza laughs.

"Can't deny you guys these simple joys in life. Have them meet me at the office in 20 minutes and we'll go from there." I concede.

I stroll back to the Mayor's office and let Antonia know what's going on.