Prologue

PROLOGUE

It's a common belief that addicts have to hit rock bottom before they're ready to accept help. That's bullshit. When they're still moderately able to function, when there's still some fight left in them—that's when it can all turn around with the right support system in place. Rock bottom is nothing but a cesspool of darkness, complete in its entirety. Rock bottom is where addicts stop caring.

For me, the battle ends now. It's all uphill and I'm too tired. I welcome the chance to plummet, to seize the darkness on my own terms. It seems as good a day as any to fade out of living. Maybe, finally, I can find a little peace.

I expect at least a hint of hesitation, a tinge of moral rectitude. But crossing the threshold to my old apartment occurs effortlessly. There is no conscience holding me back. Not this time.

Brett and Lena welcome me without words. They separate, making space for me to join in on the festivities. Their smug expressions reveal the obvious: They're not surprised I'm here.

Wedging myself between my ex-roommates on their second-hand futon feels familiar and strangely comforting. Everything has come full circle. I'm in a madhouse of my own making.

It's all I have left.