Chapter Twenty-Five [The News]

The next two months that followed was almost as painful as the torture itself. The cocktail of morphine and Vicodin Cam was supplying me, eased the pain, but as soon as the effects faded the burning came back. The scars on the outside were healing, but the scars on the inside would never leave. They would be apart of me forever.

For some reason, I was fine with that.

My skin peeled and flaked, leaving large pink marks across my chest. Those large scars were hypersensitive to touch and my clothing always seemed to flare them up. For the first couple of weeks, I only kept my bandages on. The doctor Cam had ordered to come see me showed up every day at the same time. He grew more impressed with my body by the day. He couldn't fathom how I survived. He told me that the stabs to my abdomen somehow managed to miss any major organs. He said the burns were the worst of my injuries, but with therapy my skin would grow stronger. My broken arm was the quickest to heal because the doctor said Cam had done a great job at setting the bone. My recovery was a waiting game. Cam didn't allow me to see Adrienne. He said he wanted me to focus my mind on healing, but he would let me talk to her over the phone. Her favorite question to ask was how much longer until I can see you. I hated when she asked that question though because I didn't know the answer. All I could say was soon.

The days passed by in a slow monotonous rhythm.

Pills.

Morphine.

Food and Water.

Doctor.

Therapy.

Pills.

Morphine.

Talk to Adrienne.

Sleep.

It was a never ending cycle until one day, the cycle was broken.

"Great job, Spencer. You've come a long way. You still have a ways to go recovery wise, but I think you will be fine to start being more active."

"Really?" I asked, cutting my eyes to him as I finished my set of crunches on the floor.

He nodded his head.

"Yes. Your therapy has been going well. I do suggest keeping the pain pills with you just in case, but in my opinion you should be able to return to your normal activities tomorrow," he said with a small smile.

I smiled back at him and my heart was overwhelmed with happiness.

I could hold her again.

"Thanks, doc."

"It's been a pleasure, Spencer. Now get some rest," he ordered, standing up to leave my room for the day.

That was the day I could answer Adrienne's question.

She could see me tomorrow.

That night I welcomed sleep like it was a long lost friend.

I had to be dreaming. My mind was still playing evil tricks on me.

"Oh Spencer... "I heard a male voice say.

Another chimed in, "Hey brother."

I squirmed in the bed and squeezed my eyes tighter. My body protested me with each movement, begging for me to remain frozen.

That's when I felt a rough hand grab my arm and shake me hard.

"Stop," I mumbled.

The guys in the room with me all howled with laughter.