14: I Accept

|Natalie|

Maxwell had an emotionless face on as he looked at Desmond. After looking at the alpha stripped of his titles. He has nothing left to wager. Maxwell smirked upon the convict.

"I King Maxwell of Alpha's and werewolves, I accept your challenge," Max booms and my heart drops to my ass.

"Max," I whisper out of fear.

He ignores my plea and looks upon Desmond. "Send him to his cell till I decide when I'll take on his challenge. Till then guard him, heavily." He grins, "if you lose Desmond, I'll kill you without any hesitation."

"Of course, your majesty," Desmond responds sarcastically and with an evil grin before allowing the guards to whisk him away. He didn't even fight them.

Max didn't even watch Desmond being taken, he made a swift exit. I didn't even see him leave the bench. I rise and assist my father before we leave the court room. Out in the hallway council members swarm their king. They spit out advice and encouraging words. In a way it was a pep talk for the storm to come.

As much as I love Maxwell, I didn't love this side I was seeing of him. Yes, this is his kingly side, but I don't like how he's risking his life. What if he dies get killed in this challenge? He just risked the well being of every single werewolf out there. I can assure you if that weasel becomes king everyone's life will change and for the worse. He was completely confident in the choice he made as the dominant male in the room. But at what cost?

"Here, dad, sit," I order. "Did you forget your cane again?"

As young as my father is, he has trouble walking on certain days.

Dad looks up at me with a cheeky smile and laughs. "Yes. I love how caring you are being towards your old man," he teases. "You should go talk to him. You are his queen and the queen is the kings most trusted and listened to when it comes to advice."

I shake my head. "He wouldn't want to hear what I'd have to say. I'll just scold him for accepting the challenge."

"And? It may be the words he needs to hear. Hearing the plea come from you, his mate, he may listen."

I shake my head. "He'll never listen to me. He'd rather listen to those old men than me. No offense."

Why does he have to be such an idiot? He should've killed Desmond the other day on the spot for revealing who the king was. Who knows how many other people he revealed this info to?

And besides, Max doesn't want to hear my opinion he just wants to hear he is right.

My father struggles to stand and shuffles to the little gaggle of members around Max. He motions me to follow him in which I do. I absolutely hated what they were saying to him, I hated how they were praising him. All of this was getting to his ego, he didn't even look at me. He was enjoying this praise and attention in this moment.

"Your majesty," they all say once they notice me. That seemed to take Max out of his trans.

"May I speak to you- alone," I ask Max in which he nods.

He follows behind me each stride filled with confidence until we are alone in his study. Where that strong exterior deflates. He leans back on the desk with his arms crossed against his chest. Worry and regret fills his eyes when he sees me full of rage and anger.

"I already know what you are going to say," he tells in defeat.

"Good, because I am pissed! I am so mad at you! How could you? You are probably going to lose! He's a snake and a traitor. You don't know what he has planned!"

He lets out a sigh and nods. "I am aware of all those possibilities. And I know that outcome for both scenarios, but it's a risk I am willing to take."

"Why?"

He shrugs. "I am king and I must prove I can defend and uphold that title. To show I am worthy and the king my people believe me to be."

"You should've killed him the other day! It would have been easier than me now stressing and worrying over my mate's wellbeing. Which may I add he doesn't seem to care about it like I do."

Max pushes himself off the desk and comes to me. I send him a threatening glare in which he ignores. His arms wrap around my figure and pulls me close. His chin rests on mine.

"I am doing this for us. Besides I don't have to do it right away. While he is withering away in the cells I'll be training to the max. Okay? Does that make you feel better?"

"No, it doesn't," I snap. "You have to uphold the law of the challenge, if you don't you will not be king anymore."

This man is lucky. If I couldn't feel his pain, I'd kill him right now.

~~~

Hello! Sorry for the long break! With the holidays and exams I had to push this story off to the side to focus. But I am back!

I hope you all had a happy new years and holidays! And thank you for your patience!

~Becca, The Queen Of Beans