The Past

"Jack wasn't no mere friend, (y/n). He was... one of us."

He sighed and took the chair Seán was seated in before. "He was the original host of our system before he... In the most simpliest of terms, 'disappeared'."

"Disappeared?" I gawk at Shneep, "What do you mean?"

Shneep rubbed at his eyes before leaning forward, making eye contact with me.

"Let me explain. Jack had been.. so emotionally drained that he.." Shneep glanced away "felt as if he died.."

My eyes narrowed as I looked down. "I shouldn't ask, but... what happened with Jack..?"

I felt him look back at me. "If it helps you understand I'll tell you from the beginning."

"You have these memories?"

"Of course. I am a part of him" Shneep nodded, "Would you like to hear?"

Giving a hesitant nod I sat myself back on his hotel bed.

Shneep also sat back in his chair letting out a breath. "Where to start with Jack. Rambunctious child most definitely.." A smile appearing on his face.

"Child couldn't give his parents a break, he was too energetic.. Much so that the parents needed nights off.." Shneeps smile falling.

"The babysitter was great at first.. His brother and I enjoyed her to begin with. But after seeing Jack's rambunctious ways, she showed her true self..

"We'd beg our parents not to allow her over, but yet again she showed." Shneeps gaze was distant and his hands were clenched.

"Jack couldn't handle the yelling and the abuse.. so Jameson Jackson, or JJ, appeared."

"He's the one who like magic right?" I chimed in. Shneep smiled for a second before shaking his head.

"No, he's better known for not speaking. The black and white videos." I nodded remembering the writing we did together.

"But how could that help Jack?"

"It didn't. It was more of taking the weight off of Jack himself and onto Jameson.

"However, all the anger from the abuse from the babysitter and new neglect from the parents, another alter was forming. He hadn't fronted until the abuse to his brother had begun."

"It wasn't the two of them? Just Jack?"

Shneep shook his head. "Mostly Jack, until his brother decided to defend him. The day he defended Jack, Anti snapped."

He pinched his forehead before continuing, "Not even I remember what happened that day but when Jack came to, he was locked in the bathroom with his brother until his parents came..

"His brother had explained what had happened, for the most part.. and his him in the bathroom until their parents came back."

"What did happen..?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'll spare you the details," Shneep smiled patiently. "After their parents stayed home trying to relieve life before her. But Jack couldn't. He was switching between Jameson and Anti left and right but they all passed it off as hormonal."

"So how did the others come? When did Jack.. disappear?"

Shneep groaned "Too many questions."

Probably right.. I kinda am asking much of him right now.. I looked away, thinking about what he said

"Jack faded away about when Marvin showed. Marvin was their to take the anxiety and the depressions away from his situations and in a sense, fell short." Shneep answer my question while standing to grab new cup of coffee.

"That one is the magician."

I smile looking back at him. "I remember now."

He gave me a smile back before continuing his small story.

"When Jack was fading away, I could tell another alter was fronting at some points. Similar to Jack but different. I didn't fully notice him until Chase appeared and Jack fully.. disappeared in your words."

"What triggered Chase?"

Shneep sighed sitting with the coffee in hand blowing on it, "Break up. But not like any ordinary one we've experienced before.

"They'd get mad for our switches or triggers. It was all verbal mostly. They left us but it still left a huge impact as you can tell. That's why Jack's not here, why we have Chase, and why I'm here explaining our situation."

Our eyes met and I nodded, understanding.

"So with all the alters, upset and confused, we enter with one that was there since Jack began to ghost himself." He shrugged, "Seán slid in as Jack faded out. It was an easy transition but left our system confused.

"Seán is so similar to Jack, I almost think he's back sometimes.." Shneep laughed heartily, taking a sip of his drink while in thought.

"Would it be possible? For Jack to come back?" I asked.

Shneep nodded setting his cup down. "Yes but it's hard. Reason they are this way is because of a psychological reasoning. They are so far gone that it's harder to bring them back. But it is possible."

"What would happen to Seán then?"

"Possibility would be that he'd still be there. Or he could fade off as well. If the host comes back what need would there be off him?" Shneep put simply.

I scrunched my eyebrows at his blunt putting of Seáns inevitable death.
"Okay.. so.. there's one more alter right?"

"Ah yes. Jackieboy Man" Shneep rolled his eyes. "Never liked that name. But for a child I guess that works."

"Wait child?"

Shneep nodded and continued, "Yes so, Jackieboy fronted more after the entire system got back in order. He's more of a 'comedic relief.'"

I give him a look and he shrugs. "What? My honest opinion."

"Okay.. So you've told me the side of everyone.. Where do you fit in with everyone?"

"Since the beginning. As the gate keeper I watch all the alters and if needed I can tell stories like this."

I nod thinking about it all. Not to long after I lay back on the bed.

Goddamn..