05

05 — A SECOND CHANCE TO LIVE

the reason seungyoun had never even questioned his own past.

2006

and just in a snap, he was gone.

mr lee never felt burdened by the presence of young seungyoun in his household. hell, the kid's actually quite a marvelous helper, he allows himself to do basic chores and house activities pretentious kids like him aren't usually acquainted to. his presence also enlightens the day of his two children; his first daughter eunhee tends to enjoy the latter's interesting stories, whereas his son eunsang — who is still barely old enough to even learn how to speak — just simply likes seungyoun's bright presence.

seungyoun, who has finally gained his power of mindreading, tries to learn this new power of his without the help of anyone else. the problem wasn't the difficulty of reading someone's mind (he can listen to everyone's voices in their head without even trying) but rather it was the difficulty of trying to block off that crazy amount of thoughts that keeps ringing on his ears. that's why he tends to avoid large crowds and mostly stay at home; hiding from the public eye because of his quite well-known reputation is one thing, but the effort to filter a bunch of people's thoughts could actually kill him if he wasn't strong enough.

eunsang, to him, was a strange case to say the least. he doesn't know if it was because he's still a baby, but to him he wasn't able to catch anything at all from the latter's thoughts. nothing. was it because the boy was still so young? or is it because he's blessed with the ability of not thinking? whatever it was, it certainly bothered seungyoun a lot, but he didn't care about it much. he knows there's still much of his powers that are left undiscovered, and he rather keeps it that way.

mr lee never knew the risk of letting seungyoun stay in a crowded place for too long, mainly because he didn't even know of the boy's unexplainable ability at all. so when he runs up to the street, engulfed by the sight of the boy lying on the cold concrete floor after getting brutally hit by a car driven by a drunkard, excessively bleeding, he immediately regrets everything. he regretted his decision of inviting the boy to shop groceries with him at the first place.

he hated himself for it.

just like that, 5 year old cho seungyoun had himself in a deep slumber for around a week, lying down against the hospital bed and barely even moving. mr lee later on found out the consequences of him providing shelter for the boy who ran away from the grip of his ignorant family, his own boss, and now he had to face all of it, because no matter how many reasons he tries to offer he's still indefinitely going to be considered guilty as charge. without doubt the cho family had the ability to ruin his whole life in just a snap, so he better be cautious of his words, especially after he had technically 'kidnapped' their son for a short while.

boa couldn't even believe what she heard from her secretary. his husband, getting involved in a car crash after a long drunken night, hitting a little boy in the process.. and that little boy turns out to be seungyoun? the kid he's been dying to find since his disappearance?

no matter in what perspective she sees it, that occurrence will never sound realistic to her.

her husband's irresponsible acts are one thing, but seungyoun's safety was what mattered to her the most, for the reason she was mad wasn't because of him coming off drunk whilst driving, but rather because he had brutally injured seungyoun along the way, and she will never forgive him for it.

in one of the dark and wispy nights of november, boa visits the patient room in which his husband has been assigned to a few weeks after the incident happened, and though it provided lack of illumination to help her see clearly (the scenery of seoul's city lights seen right outside the window was the only thing able to guide her from tripping into something) she immediately could distinguish how different this room is than the other rooms in the hospital. it looked more like 5-star luxury hotel boutique room to her, as it was far too luxurious for it to be something consumed by the wide public.