8 There Is A Very Powerful Man

He pulled me by my shoulder back into the bedroom and sat me down on the chair next to the window.

He rushed back to the door and checked the hallway for any sign of life. Signaling there was none, he closed the door as slowly as possible, and turned around.

I didn't protest.

For some reason this strange, boyish man didn't scare me. He didn't feel like a threat.

Plus, I could definitely take him.

He stared at me for a few seconds, analyzing the situation we were in.

"I'm Max."

Wow. The first person to actually introduce themselves since I became tangled up in all this. I knew I sorta liked him.

I still didn't respond. I gave him a look. His name really didn't meant that much to me. I wanted to know what was really going on.

He took a deep breath, trying to decide on his next words carefully.

He looked scared, as if he had been keeping a secret for too long.

"I know you don't know me, or anyone here for that matter, but you can trust me. You weren't really supposed to get caught up in all of this. It's just when he gets the hint that somethings going on behind his back, he likes to ... make it his business and take over. He doesn't like being lied too."

I took a moment to think through what he said.

The chair I was sitting on was really uncomfortable.

Before I could respond, he asked "oh, I can try and find another one, unless the bed is more comfortable for you to sit on?"

Wait. What. Had I said that out loud? I didn't remember saying that out loud. Oh well.

He read the shocked look on my face and he flushed a deep red.

"No. I'm fine."

He nodded his head furiously as if being caught in an act, and a trickle of sweat went down his forehead.

"Who is he? And I want a straight answer this time because all I've gotten is broad metaphors since I've been caught in this fucking web." I said.

He walked over to the bed and sat down, facing the door, away from me.

His hands gripped the sheets tightly for a spilt second before he gently let go, and folded them in his lap.

"There is a very powerful man, who many people are afraid of, including myself and the men who brought you here. We all work for him. Those men had been trying to find you for quite a long time and this .. very powerful man suspected you were a temptation and distraction inside his .. uh .. corporation. So once you were found, he made sure to bring you here so he could deal with you himself."

I took a moment to process.

Fucking Grander.

Maybe if you had just not fallen in love with your best friend you'd still be at home Em. What the fuck was the love I had for him anyways? Obviously not enough.

"Where is here?" I demanded, in a much stronger tone.

I shifted in my seat. Uncomfortable, but curious as I was finally being given half an answer to this whole mess.

I waited for his answer.

He looked over his shoulder at me for a couple of seconds, and then turned back around. I think he had given me more information than he was supposed to.

The name 'Max' suited him.

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you that."

I grunted in anger.

"Seems like no one can tell me fucking anything around here."

I paused.

"Am I going to die?"

He fully turned around and looked at me through glossy red ringed eyes.

His eyebrows furrowed and he made a tiny wimp, as if not sure how to answer my question.

The bed sheets rustled and he moved his body to the edge of the bed closest to me. It didn't take much force, considering how scrawny he was.

"I... I'm not sure Emilia."

"You know my name?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes ... but only I do. So don't worry. I didn't tell anyone. I think the closest man to know your name .. is no longer with us."

Wait. What?

Nobody else knew my fucking name, as far as I was aware, other than .. Grander.

He was ... was he ...

"Yes. Dead. That's what happens when you mess with the dangerous man I told you about."

"But how does my involvement in Grander's stupid affairs have anything to do with that man?" I whispered, still recovering from the news.

"Oh honey, it has to do with everything, because your, well, your you."

"Wow way to be specific. I'm not special in any fucking way. I promise. I'm your normal fucked up 19 year old girl from no-mans land. So can you let me go now? I promise I have nothing good to offer." I said.

He smiled, and lifted his hand to hold my hand and squeeze it. Then he let go, unsure of how I felt about him touching me.

Let me tell you. I didn't like it one bit.

"Emilia? He may not know it. You may not know it, and the world may not know it, but you are more important to this story than you could possibly imagine."

He leaned in, untied my hands, and squeezed my shoulder.

"WAIT I.."

He dashed out of the room, leaving me locked once again to gather my thoughts.

I leaned back in the chair.

"Me? Special? Ha." I said out loud.

The only thing special about me was the switchblade that resided in my pocket, ready to stab the next person to walk in here.
Because I am tired of being confused.

And I'm gonna figure this shit out.

Now.

Did I forget to mention that black haired Cinderella was still on the floor?