Chapter Two

Aisling's Wings --------------------------------->

Aisling POV

The men were weathered. I could feel their exhaustion as another soldier and I rationed food. Most of them were cautious around me since many faeries had cursed them. I smiled at them all especially the weary ones.

"Thank you for volunteering to help. I don't know how I would of done it alone." I bowed to the towering man after everyone else had gotten their portion. He looked over me warily.

He had shoulder length blonde hair that fell out when he first removed his helmet. His eyes were two shockingly different colors. One was brown and the other a sea foam green.

I felt his unease. His hand gripped his arm tightly. I watched as blood oozed from the under fabric. "I can fix that." The Queen ordered me to heal as many as I can, but I found myself slightly scared at their reactions. "It is my job to assist you." He nodded. I felt his body tighten up.

"In the avalanche, large pieces of splintered wood had gotten under the skin. We'd gotten most of them out." His voice was low as I guided him to a boulder. He sat down cautiously. My hands guided the sleeve of his tunic up until it was up to his shoulder. The makeshift gauze unravelled slowly without even a single touch. I reached behind my back and grabbed my wings.

Faerie dust was the purest form of magic. It coated our wings and overflowed if we didn't use the dust ,which many didn't. They stored most of it and kept it under the palace for emergencies.

I rubbed my own dust onto his skin. It was like a salve that immediately began to warm his skin. His skin glistened before cooling .

"Auxi Vulni." The words left my mouth and I watched his skin heal. His hand shot up, grabbing the skin of his arm. He angled his head so he could see it. He sheepishly ran a hand over the scar.

"Thank you."

"The pleasure was all mine." A smile grew onto my face. I was a little surprised by how quickly he warmed up to me.His face broke out into a grin.

"I'm Taryn and you, my dear, are adorable." I blushed. The room had quieted as I flushed.

"I think I'm in love, lads." His voice boomed throughout the cave. There was a millisecond of silence before the men guffawed.

"Not again." Another man rolled his eyes at Taryn, who winked back.

"It's your turn."

I frowned a little at Taryn. "I already told you my name," I began to make Taryn his ration of food. He took the rations warily, noticing it was the last of them. 

"But what will you eat?" The men went silent again. They peered over at us shamelessly.

"Don't worry. We have more than enough food to last for a fortnight." I smiled and hoped that it would reassure him.

These men needed to be well before we traveled back to the capital and that meant even if I had to skip a meal or too