Part 51 - Coincidence and Misunderstanding (VIII)

The luxury ground car drove in silence for five minutes before McAfree got bored.

"So Terra is the homeworld of humanity huh?" she said.

"Ensign..." warned Mitzner.

"No I'm really interested in their history. It's not every day you get to visit your 'ancestral homeworld'. I bet these people know all about the evolutionary history of humans. You know, from all the anthropological evidence they've gathered."

"That's enough," said Mitnzer.

"No, no, it's no trouble," said the chirpy man. "I'd be happy to educate your young friend. The anthropological history of humanity is indeed quite interesting. You see humans spring up from the dirt fully formed over two thousand years ago. That's a one followed by three zeroes, not two."

"Fascinating," said McAfree. "Who knew numbers got so big?"

"If you like this subject you'll love the Museum Of The Universally Acknowledged One True Terra. There's a fantastic exhibit where a cartoon mud clot explains instantaneous complex abiogenesis."

"I couldn't help but notice all the Martian influences in your architecture," said McAfree, seemingly changing the subject.

"Thank you," said the chirpy woman.

"So you know about Mars?"

"Of course. It was one of the first planets colonized by explorers from Terra!"

"Do you happen to know what year that happened? The colonization of Mars? I seem to recall it being a famous year..."

There was a beat of silence.

"I guess numbers do go higher than 2,000 huh?" McAfree laughed.

"Ensign. That is enough," snapped Mitzner.

"What is she getting at?" asked the chirpy woman.

"Nothing," said Mitnzer. "Just ignore her."

But the chirpy woman couldn't just ignore what sounded to her like blasphemous False Terran talk. She narrowed her eyes.

* * *

"I have alarming news. No. No not that. Not that- I'll just tell you the news. The situation with the False Terrans is worse than we feared. The lost humans just told me that their delegation to the False Terrans is already meeting with the false President! That's- yes! How should I know? They must have found a way to hide the second shuttle's descent from us. We're being outmaneuvered. I think the only viable path forward is have them meet with the President as soon as possible. We need to explain the truth to the lost humans before their heads are filled with lies."

Samedi huddled in a corner of the stadium, just outside the private box where he couldn't be heard, talking into a small personal phone.

"It's a potential crisis but it's also a potential opportunity. Once we have the lost humans on our side they can show us where the False Terran lair is and we can destroy them once and for all! Secrecy was their only weapon against our legitimacy. If we play our cards right we can remove that advantage. We need to play nice though. Make them feel important."

Samedi listened for a long stretch, saying nothing in reply.

"I agree. Yes. I'll see to it. Leave it to me. Goodbye."

Samedi folded his phone in half and stuck it in his pocket. He plastered a false smile on his face then opened the door to the private box and walked in.

"How are you finding the game?" he asked everyone as he settled back into his seat.

"Delightfully absurd," said Dr. Kang. "We never get entertainment like this back home."

"Well, we are on the cultural capital of humankind," said Samedi, with a smug grin.

He turned to Gibson.

"I just got off the phone with the Terradrome, and they never do this, but the President is going to bump up your meeting to later tonight. I hope you realize what an honor this is."

"We're very grateful," said Gibson.

* * *

When the ground car arrived at the museum the chirpy man led the Armstrong delegation inside. The woman stayed behind. As soon as they were gone she got out her phone and dialed.

"I need to report a case of ideological contamination. One of the lost humans. The young girl."