Diamonds & Pearls (16)-I've Been Charmed

Previously:  Diamonds & Pearls (15)-When A Heart Breaks, It Doesn't Break Even

 I sighed and threw off my hijab. After a minute of staring into space I curled up at the bottom of my bed. A few minutes later, I felt the bed sink in and I sighed once more.

“Raf, how can I help Zayan move on from her.” I murmured. “I can't handle the thought of my big brother in pain any longer.”

“Move on from who?” A female voice responded. I sat up in surprise to see Juwayrah staring at me curiously, her long mahogany mane laying neatly over one shoulder.

“Um...” Was all I could reply.

Ya Allah, me and my big mouth. How was I going to get out of this one?

Diamonds & Pearls

Before You Read: Hey guys! Quick reminder here! If you're delaying a prayer right now to read this story, stop whatever you're doing and go pray! Don't let anything take you away from Allah. Especially not this story. Now if you're all prayed up, go ahead and enjoy this chapter.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN-I've Been Charmed

I tried to just sink into my bed and pretend I'd never spoken but Juwayrah wasn't having it. “Daleela, what happened to Zayan?” She asked once more, a deep frown now set onto her pretty face. I bit my lip, trying to buy time.

“Well, um you see,” I started as she waited expectantly. So many ideas passed through my mind but I didn't want to lie. I also didn't want to humiliate my brother. What was I going to do? Lie to a friend or give up Zayan's secret? I couldn't betray Zayan. “He's having a hard time right now. The girl he proposed to decided that she didn't want to be with him. She left him for his friend.” I said, looking at my toes. “He's been really down about it.”

I took a deep breath. I'd told her the truth, minus the fact that Zayan hadn't proposed to her. And well she actually left him for his friend's older brother in a way. When I looked over at Juwayrah she looked really sad. “Poor Zayan...is that why he's been avoiding everybody?” She said with a sigh. “I feel like I must have struck a chord when I told him about my own marriage plans.”

I nodded solemnly. “Maybe that's what happened. Don't feel too bad.” I responded lamely. I wished that I could just tell her. Maybe she'd change her mind about Ahmed and marry Zayan instead. I knew that was just the child in me wishing for the impossible though.

“I'm gonna talk to him.” She said suddenly, a bright look in her eye. “I think I can convince him to move on. He deserves better than that girl anyway.”

I stood up quickly. “No!” I accidentally blurted. Juwayrah stared at me with wide eyes. “I mean, I just don't think that's a good idea is all.” I said, rubbing my hands together nervously.

“I don't see why I shouldn't, I mean Zayan usually takes the time to listen to what I have to say.” She replied, looking up at the ceiling. “When we were younger, even though I was the oldest, he was always there when I needed him. I think he deserves that much from me too.”