The Road Accident

Start from the beginning

Timothy McAllister

We had managed to climb out of the pit when a few branches from a tree above its opening that had fallen into the hole, three days ago. It was a miracle. With great difficulty, Hernanda and I lifted ourselves out of the pit and onto the mucky forest floor.

Hernanda and I were in the jungle, searching for the way to the house. We wanted to rescue Alice and Kirt from the fiend. The frustrating thing was that because of the second rainstorm, all the trees in the forest were disfigured. We were lost, having no sense of direction. We walked about, hoping that we were on the right path to the house.

During my days in the pit, a lot of leeches fell off my back after having enough of my blood. There weren't any leeches on my body any longer. I was relieved.

We kept on walking, hoping to find the house.

We kept on walking until we fell into another similar pit.

"Good! All this effort went in vain!" Hernanda said as we hit the bottom of the pit. "Dang, Timothy! You're too heavy!" she said when I fell on her.

The trap door on top of the pit shielded it from flooding. It was only wet below. We looked above at the hole formed by the broken trapdoor, only to be disappointed to know that in the pit we were in there was no way we can climb. There were concrete walls all over and no branch touching the lip of the pit's opening.

AnnSophia Fabron

The wave of rainfall that had struck our region was so potent that it wrecked the only road out of the Bienvenidas' estate. Five days had passed since the night Bustamente and Eustacio had taken Tom in the car. A few days ago, there was a brief earthquake. Fortunately, none of us were harmed. The quake added to our worries about Eustacio, Bustamente, and Tom.

Melinda and I were waiting anxiously. Rhett had completely recovered and was playing with MariaRosa's brother.

"Do you know when will they be back?" I asked Melinda.

"I don't know, child. Those mountains are unpassable. For that reason, they have to go around the mountains to reach the town on the eastern slope."

I was concerned if the earthquake caused an accident but didn't want to upset Melinda. Therefore, I kept silent.

I looked at the mountains she pointed to from the window. They were far in the distance rising from the vast plains, white with snow. The sky was cloudy, but it wasn't raining anymore. We were relieved.

Rhett, MariaSophia, and her brother Rodolfo were playing soccer in the fields. They were laughing; Rhett seemed incognizant of every worry.

"I'll go join them," I said.

"Sure. I'll call you all once the tea is ready," Melinda said, moving from the window to the stove.

I went outside and began playing football with the others. The sun shone through an opening in that thick veil of storm clouds.

"Pass it to me," shouted Rodolfo, asking Rhett to pass the ball to him. MariaRosa was struggling to take it from Rodolfo's grip.

"Okay." Rhett kicked the ball towards Rodolfo.

I stopped the ball with my leg, joining the game.

Rodolfo looked at me in surprise.

Rhett smiled.