Chapter Twenty-One: Closure

Chapter Twenty-One:

She was gone and I was missing her. Over the last twenty-three years of my life, I have never had someone run through my mind as often as she was. What an odd and frustrating feeling. I wondered how she was and if she's broken down by her parents yet. Is her brother softening the blow at least?

I fought the urge to text her, mainly because I don't think we've ever texted. She liked to call me a lot, to annoy me as per usual.

I sat across the table at a small, deserted bar and gave him daggers. In return, he sat back and fiddled with his dirty fingernails, unsure of himself.

"So..." He said, dragging out the word in an awkward tension.

I haven't talked to him since that night. It had been almost two months.

I sighed. "Why'd you call me here?" The last place I wanted to be at was a bar where there was booze and potential drugs floating around.

"Well, I'd still like to think of us as friends."

I raised an eyebrow. "Friends, hm?" The twinkle in his eye faded. "We're friends," I assured.

Tony gave me a half smile. "I really didn't mean to get you involved." He mumbled. "Sam's a traitor, I really didn't think he'd involve you like that."

"He's a coward," I muttered. "Have you been in contact with him?"

Tony shook his head. "Nope. I'm terrified."

I creased my forehead.

"You bailed me out, but it will come with consequences. Billy will seek revenge for that, and I can't sleep because I keep waiting for it to happen." He winced at his own words.

I couldn't help but laugh in disbelief. "Tony, they're not going to come after you. I was the one that caused shit. I was the one that insulted and humiliated Billy. If he was going to come after anyone, it'd be me." I said. "You're free."

"It shouldn't be you." He muttered.

"You wouldn't stand a chance," I smiled. Then frowned. "So don't think about doing something stupid." I warned.

"Maybe all he wants is a win."

I locked my eyes. "Then my money would be wasted, and we'd be back where we started."

Tony nodded and sighed.

"I wish I was more help." He whispered.

His eyes were bloodshot, his nose was dripping. He was constantly fidgeting. It was weird to see Tony act differently than a gerbil on a running wheel; Constant energy. He was shaken up, as he should be. Hopefully a lesson was taught.

"Get yourself clean, Tony. It'll help you sleep at night." I said.

Standing, I placed a bill on the table and readied myself to leave.

"Where are you going?" He asked suddenly.

"I said we were friends, Tony. But I won't stick around to see you deteriorate, and I won't implicate you any further in the mess you created. You worry about yourself. It's all over for you now."

I exited out of the bar without looking back.

Maybe I felt bad for leaving Tony in the dust like that, but I can't be involved anymore. I had suspicions that my troubles won't be over so easily. I specifically felt bad because last time I left someone, he killed himself.

Slaps of guilt pierced through me but I fought through my urges to turn back. Tony wouldn't wind up dead, he'd be safer away from me. And it wasn't like I completely cut ties from him... We still worked together.