I'm Here

4/8/19 & 10/30/19
(A/N: Honestly didn't think I was ever going to get the inspiration to continue writing this again. Guess Halloween really got me into the spirit!)

You kept a close eye on the skeleton as you walked beside him. You couldn't place it, but there was something strange. It wasn't the fact that he was able to be human-like whilst being dead, nor was it the fact that he was practically a living skeleton. No, it was a familiar kind of strange.

You caught yourself quickly looking away from him in fear countless times. When you looked at him, you were just reminded. For some reason, you kept associating his face with that Christmas Eve. But there was no way it was him! He looked a little different, at least you thought he did. And he was so much nicer! There's no way Jack was willing to put others at risk....right?

After all, wouldn't he have done something to you already if it had been him? There had literally been nobody else around back in the graveyard, which would have been a prime opportunity, and not to mention that he was now bringing you to people and not away. Unless....he wanted the scene to be public?

Jack turned to look at you when he finally noticed your long-term stare. He sent you a quizzical look as he asked, "Um....is everything alright?"

You snapped out of your critical thoughts as you quietly answered. "Y-Yeah, why?"

"You just look troubled?" Jack replied, not sounding too sure of himself.

You simply shrugged your shoulders in response with no further words spoken.

Jack discontinued the conversation and started a new topic, his face relighting with a smile. "I can't wait to see what everyone will think! I'm sure they'll be in for a real treat!" He declared.

"Um, I'm not too sure about this anymore." You whispered after a small second taken for thought.

"Why not?" Jack asked, turning to look at you once more as his smile fell.

"I'm just....not really ready to talk to anyone." You answered. "I'm not used to it, really. And besides, I'm a human. What if they won't like me?"

"Nonsense!" Jack smiled. "Don't forget, I said everyone would love you!"

"But what if they don't, Jack?" You glanced at him with frightened eyes. "I've always been so out of place and further put down by others because of that. I just can't deal with that stuff anymore. I can't go through that again.... I just can't."

The skeleton gave you a very concerned look, many possible statements swirling in his mind as he tried to decide on the one that would be most proper. "I can tell that you've been through quite a bit. That's why I want you to see the townsfolk! Please, allow us to try and help you."

He sent you a happy smile, but it was more unnerving to you that it was probably supposed to be. "....Have I met you before?" You asked him quietly, finally having gathered the courage necessary to speak the question whose answer, you believed, you would come to dread.

Jack gave you a puzzled look of surprise. "I'm afraid not." He replied in a curious manner.

Your suspicions continued to grow as the rest of the walk progressed in complete silence. It had to be him! But what would you do if he really was? And what would he do if he figured out you knew? This had to take a little more time of thought. You had to carefully devise a plan of escape without leading him on. You had not a clue of just how crazy this maniac could be.

Eventually, you guys arrived at a gate that was opened by a gatekeeper. Rather, 'Gatereeper' would be more appropriate and factually correct as that is what the sign said. Nonetheless, it was still very odd no matter what it was called.