Chapter 3. Biology

UPDATE: 9-9-2013 CHECK THE FAQS PART OF THIS STORY AT THE END IF YOU'RE ASKING ABOUT THE COPYING THING AND SOME STUFF ABOUT BELLA :D

One of the Cullens was sitting alone at a desk. Every table already has 2 people and he was sitting next to that single open seat. As I walked down the aisle to introduce myself to the teacher and get my slip signed, I could already feel people staring at me, including him. From the corner of my eye, I saw his stare was different; it was actually a frustrated stare other than the admiring stare the rest gave me. I took a deep breath and smelled vampire scent. It was of course him. I forgot to ask Jessica who he was but I knew he was Edward Cullen. The one without the mate and the 'youngest' one.

Mr Banner signed my slip and handed me a book with no nonsense about introductions... Of course he had no choice but to send me to the only open seat in the class, I kept my eyes down as I went to sit by him, bewildered by the frustrated stare he'd given me. I didn't look up as I set my book on the table and took my seat, but I could still feel him staring at me. I wanted to tell him that I knew what he was, but he didn't seem to be a friendly vampire. I let my hair fall over my right shoulder, making a dark curtain between us, and tried to pay attention to the teacher. Unfortunately the lecture was on cellular anatomy, something I'd already 'studied'. A few years ago, I usually carefully looked at a window at a school to study... At least I learnt something. I took notes carefully anyway, always looking down.

I couldn't stop myself from peeking occasionally through the screen of my hair at the vampire next to me. During the whole class, he never took his eyes off of me. His hands on the table were clenched into a fist, this he never relaxed. He had the long sleeved of his white shirt pushed up to his elbows, and his forearm was surprisingly hard and muscular beneath his light skin. He wasn't nearly as slight as he'd looked next to his burly brother.

The class seemed to drag on longer than the others. Was it because the day was finally coming to a close, or because I was waiting for his tight fist to loosen and tell him I know what he was? What was wrong with him? Was this his normal behavior? Then he definitely is an unfriendly vampire. It couldn't have anything to do with me. He didn’t know me from Eve.

I peeked up at him one more time, and regretted it. He was glaring down at me again, his black eyes full of revulsion. For the first time, I wished that he would just stare at me with admiring eyes, like anybody else who sees me. I seriously think that there was something wrong with this vampire, not me. At that moment, the bell rang loudly, making me jump a little, and Edward Cullen was out of his seat. He was out of the door before anyone else was out of their seat.

I sat frozen in my seat, staring blankly after him. He was so mean. It wasn't fair. I began gathering up my things slowly, trying to block the anger that filled me. Usually I get 'stronger' when I'm angry, like a bad-tempered girl, and my eyes would darken. My light brown eyes were already very noticeable and it would be weird if it suddenly becomes dark.

"Aren't you Isabella Swan?" a male voice asked.

I looked up to see a cute, baby-faced boy, his pale blond hair carefully gelled into orderly spikes, smiling at me in a friendly way, but his eyes adoring me.

"Bella," I corrected him, with a smile.

"I'm Mike."

"Hi, Mike."

"Do you need help finding your next class?"

"I'm headed to the gym, actually. I think I can find it."

"That's my next class too." He seemed thrilled, though it wasn't that big of a coincidence in a school this small.

We walked to class together; he was a chatterer - he supplied most of the conversation, which made it easy for me not to lie. He'd lived in California till he was ten, and was surprised when I told him I couldn't be under the Sun. I told him, "My sister and I are kind of allergic to the Sun. We can't be under the Sun or else we'll have rashes or some sort...” That was our lie; our excuse to be absent if it was a sunny day. Good thing that there was really that kind of allergies. He just replied with an "oh" and continued his chattering. It turned out he was in my English class also. He was the nicest person I've met today.

But as we were entering the gym, he asked, “So, did you stab Edward Cullen with a pencil or what? I've never seen him act like that."

I cringed. So I wasn't the only one who had noticed. And, apparently, that wasn't Edward Cullen's usual behavior. I decided to play dumb.

"Was that the boy I sat next to in Biology?" I asked artlessly.

"Yes," he said. "He looked like he was in pain or something."

"I don't know," I responded. “I never spoke to him."

"He's a weird guy." Mike lingered by me instead of heading to the dressing room. "If I were lucky enough to sit by you, I would have talked to you."

I smiled at him before walking through the girls' locker room door. He was friendly and clearly admiring. But it wasn't enough to ease my irritation.

The gym teacher, Coach Clapp, found me a uniform but didn't make me dress down for today's class. I watched 4 volleyball games running simultaneously. I imagined myself in the game, with vampire strength and speed; I actually smiled when I thought of ’accidentally’ hitting one of my teammate with the strength. But I can also maybe be their secret weapon.

The final bell rang at last. I walked slowly to the office to return my paperwork. The rain drifted away, but the wind was strong, and colder.

When I walked into the warm office, I almost turned around and walked back out.

Edward Cullen stood at the desk in front of me. I recognized again that tousled bronze hair. He didn't appear to notice the sound of my entrance. I stood pressed against the back wall, waiting for the receptionist to be free. He was arguing with her in a low attractive voice. I quickly picked up the gist of the argument. He was trying to trade from sixth-hour Biology to another time - any other time.

I just couldn't believe that this was about me. It had to be something else, something that happened before I entered the Biology room. The look on his face must have been about another aggravation entirely. It was impossible that this vampire could take such a sudden, intense dislike to me.

The door opened again, and the cold wind suddenly gusted into the room, rustling papers on the desk, swirling my hair around my face. I recognized, Kaitlin Reese from my Government class, came in and smiled at me before merely stepping to the desk, placed a note in the wire basket, and walked out again. I smiled back to her then. But Edward Cullen's back stiffened, and he turned slowly to glare at me - his face absurdly gorgeous - with piercing, hate-filled eyes. For an instant, I felt a thrill of genuine fear, raising the hair on my arms, the look only lasted a second, but it chilled me more than the freezing wind. He turned back to the receptionist.

"Never mind, then," he said hastily in a voice like velvet. "I can see that it's impossible. Thank you so much for your help." And he turned on his heel without another look at me, and disappeared out the door.

"How did your first day go, dear?" the receptionist asked maternally.

"Fine," I lied, my voice weak. She didn't look convinced.

When I got to my car, it was almost the last car in the lot. I sat inside for a while, just staring out the windshield blankly. But soon I felt my eyes turning darker, so I turned the key and the engine started. I headed back home, before I became really bad-tempered that I might make a scandal in school...