40. Lie to me (ii)

40
ALEXA KING
-Present-

Christopher Shaw's house
October 19, 2018
1:47 p.m.

"SO, MY FATHER," HE mutters, averting his gaze in embarrassment

"SO, MY FATHER," HE mutters, averting his gaze in embarrassment. "William. I-I don't consider him my father, you know? He's just this terrible guy who happens to be my biological father, but that doesn't really give him the title. I hate him, that's the point. But you already know this... I told you so near the riverbank."

I nod, but he can't see my agreement. I take a step forward, wanting to listen more closely. Something in his voice, how broken and honest it sounds, softens my anger. If I could just see his eyes...

"I didn't tell you that he was---" He stops himself, his jaw clenching. "That he was W.S. for the same reason I changed my identity --- I wanted a fresh start. I wanted to leave behind the nightmare that was my childhood and become someone better. I felt as though I deserved something better than the life he left for us after his arrest. I guess I was wrong."

I want to tell him that he's not wrong, that I understand why he kept the secret from me, that he does deserve something better. The words don't come out of my mouth, though. They're stuck in my throat, accumulating to form a painful lump. I can't reassure him of his self-worth, not when there's still the possibility of his guilt.

"It was nothing against you, you have to believe that. I was a coward, I know, but I couldn't bear the thought of seeing fear in your eyes. I couldn't bear the thought of you not loving me because of who I really am," he mumbles, turning around to look outside. "I may be W.S.'s son, but I'm so much more than that. My true self resides in Christopher Shaw. I've always been myself with you and only you."

My stomach begins to flutter, heart happily skipping against my chest. "What about your brother? Your mom?"

"Only you," he mumbles, looking at me over his shoulder. "Wilhelm is not around anymore. He's made his own life back in California. Nobody knows his identity or past. He's free. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in this town with a mom who can't even look at me. I look so much like him, so I don't blame her. And now everyone knows who we are and everything I've worked so hard for has turned to shit."

"Why?" I whisper, taking a step forward. "Why are you yourself only with me?"

"You know why."

"I want to hear you say it."

He shakes his head, as if ridding away an unpleasant thought. "I love--- I'm in love with---"

I wait for a few seconds, give him some time to adjust to both his feelings and thoughts while holding my breath. The seconds turn into minutes, which in turn seem like a lifetime to me. Silence stretches between us and I take a step back. He can't say the words. He won't say the words. The hope dissipates, leaving anger and resentment on its wake. My heart clenches the more he stays quiet.