Let's Do This

A/N! Let's hit the arena!

There is a strange aura hanging over dinner later. No one knows what to say, since we're going into the arena tomorrow. Should we chat about nothing? Or go in to detail about plans, strategies, and tips? No one knows, so we just eat in comfortable silence, all lost in our own thoughts. After our interviews, we had come back here and hung out. Cato did wonderfully, as I knew he would. In a moment, we're going to go watch the rest of the interviews. It is nice not to have to pretend around Cato anymore. For instance, right now, we're sitting next to each other, holding hands. Arennia gives us a distasteful look, but doesn't say anything.  

When we finish eating, we all head over to the couches. I go to sit next to Cato, but he pulls my hand and makes me sit in his lap. I reflexively curl up in content. Ceasar's face lights up the screen, introducing Glimmer. She was alright, as was Marvel. I tense when I see myself come on. Cato notices and gives my arm a gentle squeeze. Thankfully, mine goes smoothly and then it's over. "You did great," Cato whispers in my ear, kissing the top of my head. I grin at him when he comes on.  

"Well, Cato! Are you ready?" Ceasar asks animatedly. "Yes, sir. I'm brutal, vicious, I'm ready to go!" Cato responds with enthusiasm. "Great! So, I hear you weren't reaped, you are here under special circumstances. Is that true?" Ceasar leans in. "Yes, sir. But all that's in the past." "Mhmm, so, for the sake of the viewers, I won't ask what happened, but why were you so desperate to be in these Games?" Ceasar asks with an intense stare. "It's an honor to represent my district. I've been waiting my whole life for this, and I was done waiting," Cato replies confidently. "Very nice. Well, folks! Cato is the one to watch out for, he is determined!" We watch as Cato is led off to the side.  

The rest of the tributes pass in a blur, and I'm dozing on Cato's shoulder when I'm violently shaken awake. "What?" I grumble, irritated. "Hang on, you gotta see this. Lolatrix rewind it," Cato says. "I sit up, watching the TV, curious as to the reason for my awakening.

"Because she came here with me."

With that one sentence, my heart dropped. I immediately felt pity for him, since we will inevitably kill the both of them. My pity quickly morphs into outrage, though. The crowd loves him! They're all on his side now! That will cost us sponsors, they'll all feel sorry for them and want to help them! Ugh! Why didn't we use that strategy? From the look on her face, this is news to her, too. Obviously he's faking it, but ours would have been real! We could have had more! No, we're Careers. We'll win this with power and training. A couple of scrawny kids from a starving district are not going to take this from us. No matter how much fire they have, or their fake proclamations of love, they will not win. I will make sure of that, even if I have to kill them myself. They just took the two of the top three spots on my hit list, next to Glimmer. Arennia sends us to bed, insisting we get well rested before entering the arena tomorrow.  

Before splitting for the evening, Cato and I share a long kiss, filled with a million different emotions. Love, first and foremost. Hatred for the other tributes. Determination to win this thing. Luck, just because. All of these mix with just a hint of fear. Fear of losing the other.

Now, I'm standing in the small room underground, about to be lifted into the arena via glass tube. Nero has outfitted me in a simple getup. Just a black t-shirt, cargo pants, sturdy boots, and a lightweight, waterproof jacket. I think it's what everyone is wearing, for fairness, but we're in different colors. Nero has let me wear my engagement ring on a chain underneath my shirt, so I shouldn't lose it. "30 seconds," a woman's voice sounds over the intercom. I give Nero a look, and all he gives in return is a simple nod. We from District 2 are much more formal with each other, than those of the other districts. I make my way over to the tube and step inside confidently. I want him to think I'm ready for this. I'm not nervous, I tell myself, I'm ready. I close my eyes and take a deep breath while the tube carries me up.

Blinking in the sudden sun, I take in the arena. We're all standing in a semi-circle around a large metal cornucopia. It's filled to overflowing with weapons of all kinds. I instantly zero in on a sheath of knives, and make my plan to go straight for that. I glance to my right, where Cato is standing, also assessing the situation. He catches my eye and I catch the briefest glimpse of a smile, before he is back to the stoic, intimidating tribute he seems, ready for battle. I turn my attention back to the cornucopia, and focus on it. I hear the 30 second timer begin. I take several deep, slow breaths, bracing myself for the run ahead. It will be all-out war. No holds barred, every man for himself. The plan is to get some weapons and take out as many tributes as possible. If for some reason we can't get our hands on one, dash for the trees, and wait it out. We are to return after the initial bloodbath is over, and the survivors have fled. We Careers will meet up at the cornucopia and assess the situation. The final five countdown begins. Here it is.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

Run.