A Sometimes Ending Love (Part Two)

I looked around the airport and searched the crowd for my parents, or my brothers, or maybe even Amanda, my best friend.  My plane got back early, though, so I could hardly expect them for another half hour.  I had already grabbed my luggage, so I made my way outside to the humid weather and sat down on a bench.  I searched through my purse until I found my iPod, and put it on shuffle.  Of course, the one song I absolutely never wanted to hear again, Kids in Love by Mayday Parade, came on immediately.  Not that it was a bad song or anything- in fact, for a long period of my life it was one of my favorites- but now it only brought back painful memories… “Young love was such dumb love, call it what you want it was still enough.”

   I hated the fact that this had been me and Owen.  Yes, we had been young, and yes, we had been completely stupid, but we had been completely stupid with each other, and that was the point.  Also, we had been in love.  At least, I had been in love, and I had been led to believe he had felt the same about me.  I still have such a hard time believing that he felt nothing but disregard for me. 

   Moving on, I had to tell myself.  I had resolved to think as little of him as possible.  I sat alone with my thoughts for about another 30 seconds, but then I felt someone sit next to me on the bench.  I glanced over to see a boy about my age that looked slightly out of his element.  Not my problem, though.  Or at least it wasn’t, but then he stole one of my headphones.  I turned to glare at him and demand my headphone back, but he surprised me by saying, “Nice taste in music.  It’s a good song.”

   Now, how could I possibly be mean to a guy that had just complemented my taste in music?  I live for music, and regularly spend hours looking for new songs or bands I haven’t heard of.  That’s fun to me.  So someone that appreciates my musical efforts quickly ends up on my best friends list.  That’s how Amanda ended up there.  Therefore, instead of asking for my headphone back, I just said, “Thanks,” and left it at that.  The song switched a minute later to Birthday Sex, though, and I quickly fumbled to change the song.  Mystery Guy sat there smirking at this incredibly awkward situation.

   Luckily, I saw both my brothers pull up in my car, and they hopped out smiling at me, then frowning as they realized I was sitting next to a guy. 

   “Scar…. Who is this…?” my older brother Kyle asked me.  Of course, he’s older by a shocking three minutes, but of course, he insists he is much older, and more mature.

   “Well, I’m not exactly sure,” I said, “but he likes my music so that has to count for something.”

   The look on Kyle’s face told me it didn’t really count for anything.  My younger brother Sean seemed to agree.  I decided it was time to change the subject, “So, uh, why are you guys driving MY car around?  I was under the impression that you have your own Kyle, and Sean you’ll get your own in a couple months.”

   Sean was still only fifteen, so he only had his permit, but would get his license in October.  Now it was their turn to be uncomfortable.

   “My car is in the shop, and we didn’t really want to drive the Suburban or minivan to pick you up, so here we are!  Aren’t you happy to see us?” Kyle said.  Mystery guy was silently listening in on this conversation and seemed quite amused.

   “Oh of course I’m happy to see you; I can’t believe I’ve survived these past two months without you!  How have I gone on with my life?  Also known as I had a ridiculously fun time in California without you,” I told them.  My brothers had been stuck at home working for the whole summer; my parents had been worried that I was going to sink into depression and have anxiety problems or something, so I got out of working.  Believe me, I wasn’t complaining.

   My brothers both scowled at me, but then Sean’s expression toward me softened, “How are you really doing, though, Scarlett?  Forgotten about the douche yet?” he asked.

   My smile dropped, and I stared at my shoes.  “Sort of,” I said, “I’m not exactly pining for him every minute of the day now, so there’s some improvement, I guess.  Can we go home now?”

   Kyle and Sean still looked upset about the Owen Situation, but agreed that we should head home. 

  I heard a deep voice say, “I guess I’ll see you around.”

  I had completely forgotten about Mystery Guy, so I sort of jumped when I heard him speak again.  “Yeah, I guess I’ll see you around.”

  At that moment, I highly doubted I would see him around.  I was never generally looking for new friendships.  I wasn’t as outgoing as I wished I was, but we can’t get everything we want.  So with those words of parting, and him receiving glares from my brothers, I was off towards my home.  I was driving down the streets that just brought back memories of heartbreak.  There’s the place Owen and I first kissed.  There’s the street Owen and I first met on.  There’s the ice cream shop he and I would always go to, and he would always buy.  There’s- Owen- walking down the street, as nonchalant as you can be.  Look away, look away, look away, I kept telling myself, but I couldn’t, as hard as I tried, I just couldn’t.  Did he look even more handsome than he did when he left?  I knew he looked more tan, and his hair had gone a little lighter.  He looked a little taller, I think. 

   “Don’t look at him,” Kyle told me, “he’s not worth it.”  He wasn’t, I knew it, but he still had been such a big part in my life.  How could you just let go of someone who had been so important to you for so many years?   

Author's note:  the guy in the picture is what I think Mystery guy should look like :)