Chapter Four

Vanessa felt like her legs were about to give out on her. For her to be a trained volleyball player she really could not keep up. She suddenly stopped moving. 

“Gab” She breathed a deep intake of breath. “riel” Her hands on her knees, she felt like she would pass out any minute. Gabriel turned around to see Vanessa hunched over and couldn’t stop the smile that graced his lips. 

“What’s wrong?” He said trying not to laugh.

“You got me running like a runaway slave that’s the what's wrong.” Vanessa spat out, which caused Gabriel’s smile to turn into a full laugh. They were about a mile down from the house on the beach. The sun was almost completely gone on the horizon. The sand ran through Vanessa toes, her heels were safely in Gabriel’s hand. She turned to look at the house in the distance. She couldn’t believe she actually ran off with him! 

Vanessa turned back around to see Gabriel dropping her shoes in the sand. His hands immediately when for the bottom of his gray T-shirt, pulling it over his head Vanessa almost screamed at the site of his naked chest. He was so toned…not that ugly extreme muscle, more on the lean side.Being on the track team definitely helped out.  When he started unzipping his khaki shorts Vanessa was quickly snapped back to reality. 

“What are you doing?!” Vanessa screeched out. Gabriel laughed showing off his deep dimples.

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m going swimming in the ocean. And you are too, come on Vanessa.” Vanessa should have told him no, but it was something about the way he said her name that made her insides melt. He said it as if he loved it. As if he would speak it forever. He stood patiently waiting on her, a sudden boldness came over her and she pulled her pink tank top over her head, soon after dropping her jeans. Gabriel smiled widely, Vanessa noticed he smiled a lot. He grabbed her hand and they made a run towards the ocean. The warm water surrounding Vanessa. Never in her life had she felt so free, than there in the Atlantic with Gabriel. He quickly swam toward her and pushed her curling hair from her face. 

“You are one of the most gorgeous people I’ve ever seen.” Gabriel whispered in admiration. Vanessa tried not to blush but she couldn’t help it.

“Oh you probably say that to every girl.” She replied shyly. He chuckled and then put his arms around her waist bringing her closer to him. His strength holding both of them afloat in the deep moving waters. Gabriel didn’t even seem bothered by it. 

“No, I don’t. My compliments are only reserved for those who deserve them.” 

“Oh, then I am flattered.” She said politely, her arms hanging around his neck loosely. He smile dropped as his eyes bore into hers. 

“I don’t know why I feel like this Vanessa.” He spoke honestly. Vanessa could agree with him one hundred percent. She just met him, and already she had the feeling that she wouldn’t be able to go a day without him after this. It was as if she knew him before. He could have been hers in a past life, but she didn’t even believe in that type of thing. 

“I don’t either, but it’s so strong. Ever since I saw you standing at my door, it’s been that way.” She didn’t know why she felt the need to open up to him. They shouldn’t be moving this fast, or feeling this strong, they didn’t even know each other’s last name. 

“My last name is Merritt.” Gabriel replied as if reading her thoughts. Vanessa giggled. 

“What kind of last name is that.” Gabriel laughed with her, loving the sound of her laughter. It sounded like music to his ears. 

“Oh so you think my last name is funny huh?” His sandy brown eyebrows shoot up. Vanessa read the mischief in his eyes and frantically shook her head.

“Don’t you dar-” Before she could finish her sentence Gabriel tossed her away from him. The water poured into Vanessa face as she went under. By the time she came back to the surface Gabriel was standing on the ocean line laughing hard. She quickly swam back to shore to meet him. His eyes scanned over her honey brown body as she walked towards him. His laughter quickly ceased. His chest felt tight, her body was gorgeous to him. 

“Oh so you thought that was funny hmm?” Vanessa asked, before he could answer she pounced on him, which caught him by surprise, causing the pair to tumble to the ground. She sat up on top of him, straddling him. Gabriel lay comfortable in the sand his hand lightly running up and down Vanessa’s thighs. His eyes lidded as he watched her look at the stars in the night sky. She was gorgeous. This moment was picture perfect for them.

“You never told me what your last name was.” He said bringing her thoughts back to him. 

“It’s Anderson.” She whispered quietly. There was a beat of silence.

“Would it be wrong if I kissed you right now?” Gabriel asked suddenly. Vanessa was speechless. She had been kissed before but never had the guy asked. She looked Gabriel in the eyes and once again lost her breath. His eyes were dark gray! He leaned up a little, before bringing his hand behind her neck and moving her head to meet his. Their lips connected. 

Vanessa felt as if she would die and go to heaven at any moment. She had never kissed a white guy before. There were slight differences but, Gabriel was such a good kisser that it didn’t matter. He lightly nipped on her bottom lip, after that his tongue made its way into her mouth. They lay exploring each other’s mouths as Gabriel’s hands explored Vanessa’s body and her hand’s lie timidly on his shoulders. Then a thought struck her.

Olivia!

She couldn’t do this.

Not to her best friend. 

She abruptly pulled away. 

“I can’t do this. Olivia is in love with you. And she is my best friend. I can’t do that.” She jumped up shaking her head, Gabriel quickly shot to his feet speechless by her revelation. Vanessa started putting her clothes back on.

“I can’t be that friend. I wish I could. Oh God, know that I wish I could. But, I can’t” She finished putting on her clothes scared to face him. 

“Vanessa…” He started out, but she put up her hand. Stopping him, because she knew for a fact that if she listened to him she would be right back in his arms and 

she couldn’t do that. 

She wasn’t that friend. She quickly put her wet hair up into a messy bun and grabbed her heels. She stopped to look at Gabriel. He stood with just his Khaki shorts on, his navy blue boxers slightly showing at the top. He was beautiful, but she couldn’t. She lightly brushed her lips against his cheek. Before jogging off towards the party house. 

****

The car ride back to the dorms was silent. Vanessa once again faced the window looking at the scenery. She could still feel the passion that Gabriel kissed her with. She lightly touched her lips, before bringing her hand back to her lap. 

She couldn’t be that friend.

She turned around to see Olivia sitting quietly in the back seat. 

“Olivia..” She called out quietly. Kennedy looked at Vanessa trying to figure out what she was about to say. She saw her when she and Gabriel left the party. Kennedy was pretty sure Olivia did too. When Vanessa returned to the house she looked nothing like she did when she first came to the party. 

“Yes?” Olivia replied distantly.

“I told Gabriel that you loved him. I’m sorry it just came out, but I wanted him to know…”

“You what?!” Olivia yelled.

“I told Gabriel that you loved him.” Vanessa replied with more strength in her voice. The car was quiet for a long time. 

“Oh…that’s why he is texting me now! I don’t know whether to thank you or yell at you. Thank you Nessa! You have definitely helped out a lot. He just asked me on a date! Yes! Finally!” Olivia’s voice was so full of life that Vanessa knew she made the right decision. She closed her eyes and left a sad smile grace her lips. 

“Hey, what are friends for?” Only Kennedy saw the stray tear that ran down her reddened cheek.