The Nutcracker Princess: Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

Joyeux Noël

I spun round to see Noel leaning against the tunnel wall, looking extremely pleased with himself.

“Well? Aren’t you going to thank me for saving you?” He smiled; the very epitome of smugness. I placed a finger on my chin and adopted a thoughtful expression.

“Let me think about that…No! You’re the one who dumped me here in the first place you smarmy git!” 

 Noel grinned and strode over.

“That probably wasn’t a wise choice on my part, was it? You’ve managed to hook-up with an elf, scare the crap out of the Snow Queen’s henchmen and knock-out a member of the Arctic monarchy. Can’t you keep out of trouble for five minutes?” He nudged the unconscious prince with his expensive looking shoes. I’d forgotten about Prince Frostylocks- hopefully I’d be far, far away before that royal dunce woke up.

“I didn’t knock him out!” I protested, ignoring the rest of his speech.

“Whatever, he was a pain in the arse at the school anyway, I should be thanking you.” 

 I glared with all the venom I could muster, but Noel kept on smiling.

“You look so pretty when you’re angry.” He chuckled softly, taking me by surprise. I could actually feel my cheeks grow hot. Not cool, Holly! This guy is you’re arch-nemesis! Did Sherlock Holmes blush when Professor Moriarty called him pretty…Okay, maybe that wasn’t the best example.

“And you have a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.” I replied smiling sweetly.

Noel chuckled and his hand stroked his chin thoughtfully.

“Why thank you.” He responded blithely, as if I‘d just told him he was a dreamboat of Adonis proportions.

“Why did you save us Master Claus?” Evan interrupted gruffly, cutting short our little spat. Both of us turned to look at him.

“I wouldn’t ever willingly inflict Lumi on anyone. Anyway, I said I’d take care of you didn’t I, Holly?”

 I shot him an incredulous look. This boy had some weird ideas, if he thought dumping me at the North Pole was caring.

“Well, thanks for the free polar mini-break, but me and Evan are going to be going now. Buh Bye!” I gave him a faux-jolly wave and budged past, head raised high in the air. I didn’t get far before he laid his hand gently on my shoulder.

“I can send you home if you want.” He whispered into my ear. “You’re probably more trouble to me here than you were in school.” For a few seconds I was sorely tempted to accept his offer and be snuggled up in my dorm room with a mug of hot chocolate. 

But if I was back at school, who was going to save Christmas?

“Thanks but no thanks.” I replied defiantly. “I and Evan have a job to do.” 

Noel regarded me sadly.

“I see.” He breathed almost inaudibly. “Be careful.” Before I could respond, I realised he was gone.

I really couldn’t figure that boy out.