9.2. ING IX

The red hall was a blood bath in fabric. It lived up to its name and that of the Emperor's image to an abundance. The roof which was already painted red was currently lined with sheer crimson veils. The tables and chairs were a deep coper made from the south of Aset, in the territories of Iling.

At the center of the table, scarlet porcelain vases held pretty red daisies.

"If we didn't know, one could assume we were entering a declaration of war." Ing said to himself. Nerti chortled at the joke

"The colors are magnificent, strong and overpowering." She added with humored sarcasm.

"Exactly what the emperor would like to hear."

The attendees were watching a traditional Qxlong performance done by two actors, one a godly spirit, the other a demon who always wore the color donned by the dynasties enemy, which currently was yellow.

Ing Ix delivered Nerti to their table and upon the emperor's glance, moved to greet all guest deemed important to his brother. He paid the most attention to those with heavy coffers who could finance his army. Most of them he couldn't remember their names but he bowed nevertheless though their loyalty could change at a toss of a coin.

He tried to rush back to his own table and avoid El Il, his Iling fiancé but upon another glare from his brother, he found himself beside her.

"Commander Ing Ix. It makes me very happy that you have taken the time to greet my mother and I. The coming announcement of our engagement has brought much joy to my family and my heart." Ing politely listened as the girl told him of her happiness, latest lessons and friends.

He found his eyes drifting back to Nerti as he nodded diligently. She had not moved from her sit, looking a bit uncomfortable with the large crowd. She smiled to whoever who stopped to greet her.

The darkese girl nodded and pleasantly agreed whenever a guest lingered for a conversation, applauded at the end of every performance and when any dancers or actors offered her flowers she stood and accepted them graciously. It would seem, nothing could displease her.

Feie Fe, an astronomy scholar saved him from the Ilings only to drawn him in unbelievable theories of the stars. This time as he looked at the dark child, she too was watching him , she didn't smile, all she did was look at him across the room as if bidding him to see what truly lied underneath her eyes. Kaduri whispered something in her ear and the moment was over.

Somebody tried to silence the room, the emperor wanted to start his speech of the event including an official welcome for the Darkese emissaries and his pending engagement. He took the opportunity to walk back to his sit. Nerti smiled when he approached but maintained her silence.

Atlas the emperor started and went on for a while. First, he announced Ing's engagement which was met with a tremendous applause. He proceeded to recite the achievements of Qxlong empire from the first Qxlong emperor. Some of it was about the newly constructed merchant's roads, the geyser palaces, the harvest brought in last year, the prominent peace in the empire and the young prince, Qix Ix's intelligence. To mean the leadership stood secure. He spoke it all while looking at the Darkese girl who smiled and nodded throughout.

Just as his brother finished, Ing Ix remembered the green box. Kaduri also took the opportunity to prompt his memory.

"Commander, we have been waiting for you to unwrap this mystery." She said, pointing at the white cloth that concealed the box. All eyes on the table fell to the item.