A Beautiful Mirage

Happy Birthday Choi Soobin! ❤️

___________________________
Theme Song: BTS - Butterfly
__________________________

I clutch the hood of my parka jacket over my head, trying as best as I can to prevent the rain from dripping on my face. Who knew that it was going to rain this much on an autumn afternoon? It is basically pouring in sheets. I frown, hoping that I would still be able to catch my bus considering that I am already ten minutes late.

My wrist watch had stopped working a few minutes ago, it must have been soaked during the long walk from the university to the bus stop.

I look at the road filled with passing cars. The traffic is heavy at this hour so hopefully my bus is yet to arrive. I fish my cellphone out from under my layers of jerseys. Trying as best I can, I shield my cellphone from the drops of water dripping off the canopy of the bus stop. As I check the time on the screen I realise that my dad must be home already. I text him a quick message, letting him know that I will be a bit late for dinner. After tucking my cellphone back into the inner pocket of my jacket I check for any on-coming buses again.

I frown, realising that I might have to walk. My heart sinks further when I remember that I had not brought an umbrella to campus today. Oh well, at least I'll get a free shower. I check the roads once more before bracing myself for the downpour.

•••
Soobin

"I'm glad that you decided to come." Sihyeon smiles. "Trust me, you'll like the place."

Soobin gives her a brief smile then turns his gaze back to the road ahead. The downpour today is worst that yesterday's light showers. Luckily, he was able to meet up with Sihyeon despite this troublesome weather. It is not even winter yet and the sky already looks like it is about to fall in heaps of snow.

The car ride is silent for a moment until Soobin decides to ease the tension.

"How was the photoshoot?" He asks.

"It was nice, actually, the atmosphere was not as chaotic as I thought it would be." Sihyeon says.

"What made you think that?" Soobin chuckles.

"Well for starters, the last shoot that I did about two weeks ago was literally like a tornado occurring around me." Sihyeon places her head in her hands. "Even the memory of it makes my head spin." She laughs.

"I know the feeling." He humorously says.

"Exactly."

Soobin looks at Sihyeon, a smile still lingers on her face as she looks at her hands in her lap. Sihyeon is a nice girl. She is beautiful, has a bubbly personality and is a rising idol. She is everything that a guy could ask for. He looks back at the road as they wait at a red traffic light. Maybe I should give her a chance, Soobin thinks. Everybody seems to think that they match each other perfectly, like soulmates. But do I? The light changes to green.

When Soobin and Sihyeon enter the cafe they are greeted with a cozy and welcoming atmosphere. Taking in the urban artistic interior, Soobin is quite surprised at Sihyeon's taste in aesthetic cafes. Who knew she had such a great eye for decor?

"What?" Sihyeon grins looking at Soobin's reaction. "Not what you expected?"

"To answer you truthfully, no not really." He gives her an apologetic look.

Instead of looking offended she laughs. "You probably thought that I was going to take you to some unicorn themed cafe right?"

Soobin blushes. "Uh, no." He looks away, embarrassed that she could read him so easily.

Sihyeon grasps his hand which takes him by surprise. She leads him to a table situated closer to the window.

"Why a window seat?" He asks.

"I love looking at the rain." She turns to him. "It's peaceful."

Soobin smiles at Sihyeon. Maybe the idea of being in a relationship with her is not so bad after all. He looks at the view through the window of the cafe. The rain splatters the ground in a continuous motion.

The silhouette of a person catches his eye. Anybody would be crazy to walk in this weather, he thinks. Especially without an umbrella. The figure approaches the walkway nearing the cafe and he immediately notices the drenched state of the person. It is a girl, he identifies by the small frame. She looks up as the wind blows her hood off of her head. Soobin does not see her face at first due to the blurry image the rain creates. But as she wipes fallen raindrops from her face, then only does he see. His body stiffens with dread. Knowing that he should look away he doesn't, he cannot. She finally notices him from behind the cafe's window and when their eyes lock, hers widens with shock.

He had not seen that face in so long.

"Mia." He whispers.

"Hmm?" Sihyeon says putting her cellphone away. "Did you say something?"

Breaking his gaze away from the girl outside in the rain he looks at Sihyeon.

He shakes his head. "No." He looks back at the pathway outside of the cafe. It is empty with rain being its only occupant. She is gone.

"Soobin?" Sihyeon touches his arm. "Are you okay?"

He puts on a smile. "Of course, I was just admiring the rain."

•••

Mia

My heart beats loudly to the rapid tapping of rain on the ground. The water falls on my face but I am too dazed to register it.

When I think about it my heart beats even faster. The way he looked at me, I know he recognized me. He has not seen me in almost two years, of course he would be surprised to see my face outside in a thunder storm of all things.

I on the other hand, had seen his face everywhere. Being the successors of BTS, I knew that TXT would grow in fame quickly. Soon it was hard to avoid seeing him everywhere I went. Every poster, every billboard, every advertisement I saw him. I was heartbroken inside, I missed him terribly. But when I saw his smile I reminded myself that us breaking up was for him. For an ultimate happiness that I could not give him.

He is where he is now because of his hard work and dedication, I always thought as I looked at him perform on television and the big screens. There were times when I hated myself even more for what I did, I regretted that decision I made on that late Summer's night as I looked into his eyes and lied about how I felt. I was afraid then, for both him and myself, so I let him go. And when I realised that, it was too late. I was too late to tell him that I admire the person he is for everything he does.

I sigh looking at the ground. All my clothes are wet except for the most inner layers of my jerseys. I better get home before my entire outfit is wet and my cellphone decides to stop working.

He was with someone, a girl, I remember. She looked familiar, like the female idol which most fans are pairing up with Soobin. Everyone thinks that they make a good couple. I curl my fingers, finally feeling the cold turning them to ice. Everyone is right, they are meant for each other, they are from the same world, the same aristocracy. Plus, I stuff my hands into my pockets, Soobin looked happy. I take a step back into the rain and let it wash away the slight pain that I feel in my chest.