Bobby Singer's House 2

John Winchester is dead.

Bobby Singer's house had been a quiet one, and it was the most out of place Sophie had felt in the last two months. Sophie had heard Sam briefly mention to Bobby that him and Dean had decided not to talk about it; only mentioning as much as John's sacrifice to save Dean. It had been a horrible car accident, from what Sophie could tell, and the Impala was wrecked front to back; top to bottom. Dean was in a coma, about to die, when John sold his soul to Yellow Eyes to save his son.

It saddened her to see both the Winchester boys so silent. Sophie was also upset, for she would never be able to thank the man that saved her life and gave her a new one. He would never see how much she had grown since then, and she would never be able to convey just how much John's boys meant to her now. It also made her worry if, in his death, Sam and Dean would be completely different people entirely. So far, they hadn't really spoken a word to her in the two days they had been back. She didn't want to pressure them or invade their personal space, but she was feeling completely ignored- like a ghost. Was it selfish if she feared, because of this, they'd leave her with Bobby forever?

Today, Sophie had taken a break from studying myths and lore to practice something else. It was advised by Bobby, noticing the girl had nearly slaved away deciphering the differences in Latin exorcisms, and ways to kill demons. She agreed with the idea, hoping that studying such a thing wouldn't upset Sam or Dean.

This time, Sophie was baking and taking her first swing by making a pie. Dean had been working non-stop fixing the Impala, and she hoped this kind gesture would cheer him up some. Maybe, even selfishly, convince him she would be good company to keep around on the road if she new how to make pie.

Once she was finished and Sophie was proud of the way it turned out, Sophie cut a slice and put it on a plate. She smiled to herself in satisfaction, wiping away the excess fruit filling that might have gotten on her fingers away on her apron. She pranced through the kitchen, passing Bobby along the way who only managed to give her a discombobulated glance.

Sophie's grin was growing, heading outside- her chin held high and a skip in her step. She stepped carefully into the garage, making sure to keep the pie free of any debris that might have been floating around and rounded the corner. That was when Sam flew around the corner, his hands shoved in his pockets, and bumped into her. Sophie gasped, watching as the plate fell into the dirt- pie-side up. Her mouth fell agape and she looked at Sam, who only seemed to shrug defensively. "Sorry." He murmured, turning to walk away.

Sophie frowned, "Sammy, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," he snapped, ducking through the doorway as he marched back into the house.

She grimaced and solemnly looked down to the crushed pie on the ground. She sighed and began to reach for the plate, but was startled by loud banging. Sophie looked up, peering around the mouth of the garage and watched, eyes widening a fraction, as Dean slammed the trunk of the Impala over and over with a crowbar. She watched in silent horror, slowly bringing her fingers to grasp the collar of her blouse as Dean grunted through tightly clenched teeth- beating the Impala until the trunk was completely destroyed.

Dean finally tossed the crowbar aside, panting heavily. Slowly, his eyes drew to hers and Sophie bit back a gasp. "What?" He barked, and Sophie flinched. She swallowed the lump in her throat and carefully turned to walk away. Once she knew she out of Dean's sight, she sprinted back to the house, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

*~*~*~*

Sophie sat in the guest room, tidying up and keeping to herself. She tried as little as possible not to personalize the room in any fashion, for she didn't expect to be staying at Bobby's much longer. At least, she hoped that would be true. After witnessing Dean in his fit of rage, it was obvious his father's death was affecting him deeper than she could imagine and she feared the brothers would need more time alone.

She tried to stay positive, but the more she distanced herself from the Winchesters, the more lonesome she felt. Bobby and those brothers were her family, but feeling as though she couldn't comfort them made her feel useless. This spout of grief and sudden animosity was new to her, and she hadn't the slightly idea of how to change it or if she even could. Dean's actions had scared her, and Sam's sudden silence concerned her. It was as if these emotions were foreign to her.

"Great pie, Soph!"

Sophie's head perked up and she whirled around to face the doorway. Dean stood, plate full of pie in hand and his lips smacking obnoxiously. She watched as Dean licked the fork lustfully, a widespread grin across his face as he hummed in pleasure. Sophie stared, utterly confused at the sudden change in mood, rendering her speechless.

Dean stopped munching on his pie, "What?"

Sophie blinked the dryness from her eyes and shook her head. "N-nothing..." She paused, her brows puckering. Was it really nothing?

Dean grinned, disappearing down the hall as he took another fork-full of pie. Sophie stood in place, staring at the absent doorway. Her thoughts ran amok, considering the possibility that she had only imagined Dean's fit of rage. He acted as if he hadn't snapped at her at all, or like he hadn't even lost another member of his family.

Sam passed through her view and she was quick to call for him. The tall, shaggy haired brother took a step back, turning to face her room. She noticed, immediately, his expression: still solemn and devoid of any happiness. "There you are," he said softly, taking a step further into the room. "Before you say anything... I'm sorry for shoving you like that."

Sophie frowned slightly, "Oh... I-it's okay, Sammy.'

"No, it's not... It's just," Sam pressed his lips together, shoving his hands into his pockets, "I didn't say a lot of great things to dad before he died. Now he's gone and, I guess, I just feel a little guilty. I feel even worse that I can't get Dean to talk to me about it."

He made eye contact with her and Sophie could have sworn she saw a glint of moisture in his eyes. It was all starting to come together, and Sophie was starting to realize just the kind of person Dean must have been: bottle everything up until it spills over. "It's not your fault..." Sophie murmured. "I know I'm not exactly family, but... I'm here for you, Sam. For you and Dean both. I can't really remember what it's like to lose a loved one; that woman, I only remember bits and pieces, but your father saved my life- brought me to you two. I can't thank him personally, but I can be there for you two."

Sam forced a smile, "Thanks, Sophie."

"May I hug you?"

He laughed, and nodded. Sophie smiled softly and approached him, wrapping her arms around his mid section. "I like you, Sophie," Sam muttered, his chin resting atop her head. "You are family... If Dean wasn't so stubborn, he'd say the same thing."

**A/N: I love Sam... Sometimes I forget to put him in the limelight, and, when I finally do, I remember just how sweet he is. No Supernatural tonight, and I'm extremely bummed. They'll be on Holiday Hiatus before we know it, and I'll die a little inside.**