Until Death do us Part - Smurti Kulkarni

Note: If you like this story, please cast your vote by pressing the STAR ICON on the TOP RIGHT.

Summary:

On one side is his nation, his duty, and on the other, the love of his life, his two-month-old bride. After serving the nation, he returns thinking he'd surprise her, but surprisingly finds her meeting someone else. Would he confront her, or would the darker memories of the war take him to the other world? The choice is a war in itself. Read the story to know what unfolds further. A wish, a choice or a step he didn't see coming

Full Story:

It was one year, six months and fourteen days since I had last seen her. With her soft eyes, full of tears, and a brave smile on her lips, she had said good bye to me at the train station in Pune. More than a year had passed, yet, I could still feel her tender warmth - she had held me in her arms, silently, without saying a word,her eyes had said it all "Come back soon, I am waiting".

I had been asked to report at the Line Of Control - My duty towards the nation called me, and I had to go. Although we had been married for less than two months, I had to leave her alone; I had to say good bye to my Naina – whom I loved so much.

The past several months had been hard – I had faced death every single day in the harsh winter, with falling dead bodies of my fellow soldiers around me. In the extreme conditions, it was only her love that had kept me going. The desire to see her again, the wish to be in her arms, the yearning to hold her hand and to kiss her – these had given me the strength to continue fighting.

Now, finally was free to go to back to my Naina! I was full of anticipation as I boarded the train from Delhi to Pune. It would be such a surprise for her – she had no idea I was coming! I thought to myself, I would reach Pune just a day before her birthday; I would surprise her with her favorite flowers, early in the morning, on her birthday. What would she say? What would the look on her face be? I could not help smiling as I drifted away in my memories.

...

My first encounter with Naina was at a cinema hall in Pune. I was with my family watching "Kuch kuch hota hai". Naina was with a few friends, and she sat in the row in front of me. When the movie concluded, she forgot her scarf behind. I noticed the soft silk cloth and followed her, so I could return it to the rightful owner. She turned behind hearing me yell "Excuse me!" in the crowd. The softness in her bright eyes made me fall in love at first sight. The smile on her face as she thanked me, made me feel enchanted! Oh! What a feeling that was! So Magical!

The next few days revealed that Naina and her family were our new neighbors! They had recently moved to Pune from Bangalore, and Naina was studying Computer Science at the Pune University. Every morning I would try to secretly look at her as she took her scooter out, to rush to college. I would make excuses to meet her - to accidentally run into her at the super market, or the library!

One Saturday morning, Naina had been engrossed in a book at the library near our home. She had not seen me, but I was there, hidden behind a book, not reading it. An hour later, she got up to leave, and once again, forgot her silk scarf behind. I quickly picked it up, and rushed behind her. She turned behind as I called out her name."Naina, your scarf"

Once again, with that smile on her face she thanked me as I returned the scarf. We walked back home together that day, and I could not help feeling that she too was falling for me.

...

I was woken up from my frenzied sleep as the train jerked and reached the Pune station. Pune welcomed me with heavy showers. I had slept (and dreamt!) through the journey, and had not realized that the train had been delayed – it was already dark outside.