Interview

"And we're going live in 3... 2... 1...!" the camera man shouted before the bright lights flickered on.

     The stage lit up, illuminating the two seats in which Sakura and the interviewer sat. By her favorite secretary's request, Sakura had her hair all shifted to her right shoulder, all the tendrils cascading down in deep curls. She even wore some designer clothing that wasn't too much but still brought out her natural beauty.

     Hitoshi turned the volume up on his T.V. as soon as the broadcast started to play. He hadn't really delved into what had happened the other morning but knew that he would get all the information he needed from the show. 

     Curiously, his parents looked over from the kitchen table where breakfast was already set out. They knew that his new friend was appearing on the channel and were quite happy to hear that he made a friend. However, they had never seen their son so ecstatic to watch the T.V.

     "Hello, I am Mary Ham and today we're having an exclusive interview with Miss Sakura Haruno."

     The screen changed to show a video from a security camera of Sakura apprehending the robber bare-handed. Hitoshi watched, eyes not straying from the clip as she fluidly got the weapon away and essentially disabled him. 

     It then faded back to the two of them and Mary turned to Sakura, "This video was released a couple days ago and in a matter of hours became absolutely viral. What do you have to say about that."

     A gentle smile on her lips, she answered gracefully, "I actually didn't find out that the video was out until late that night. Although it was posted without my consent, I am glad that people think so highly of what I did. Though, that man was quirkless."

     The reporter waved her hand at her statement, "But he definitely had the upper hand. According to reports, he had been practicing his gun at a local shooting range for about two years now."

     "But I've trained in martial arts as a young girl. Being able to defend myself is just the fruit of my hard work."

     "I bet that your parents are proud. They probably spent a considerable amount of money to teach you such a versatile art."

     Hitoshi cringed inwardly at the screen and wished that the interviewer went into Sakura's background beforehand. 

     "They would be proud..." Sakura's eyes shone with tears and Hitoshi actually gaped. She was fake-crying on television. Whether it be planned or not, she was planning on using the slip-up as a publicity act. 

     Her expression looked as though she was fighting back the tears and trying to be strong. However, after spending more than seven hours a day with her, he found that she wasn't the type to cry. It was more so that she found no reason to shed tears.

     "Didn't they tell you to read my file?" she asked, voice quivering, uneasy and cracking.

     "I-I did."

     "Then why did you state it as though my parents are still alive?"

     The reporter froze and couldn't find what to say next. Truth be told, she hadn't read the file and guessed it would be a spoiled, rich kid that managed to do something good with a career practically given to them. Almost no one earned something nowadays.

     To add salt to the wound, Sakura added, "My parents... My parents passed away this year and I took up modeling to support myself financially... I miss them so much."

     When she murmured that last line, she could feel the barrier she drew up because of fate chipping away. Emotions she never thought existed poured out. "Everything I knew, all my friends, and my home are all gone. Why wouldn't I try to protect the place I'm trying to make home now? I wish that I could be with them like this but it won't ever happen. They're in an unreachable place. Well, Mrs. Ham, thank you for allowing me to grieve for their losses for a moment. I haven't been able to because of my busy life."

     It took her a second to comprehend again. "Y-yes..."

     Sakura quickly grabbed a tissue and wiped away at her eyes and face. It was the perfect ploy to show that she was truly all natural but her purple haired friend found that some of her raw emotions came through in her speech.

     The rest of the interview was Sakura answering the pre-written questions while Mary Ham managed to ask the next one without squeaking too much. With intention or not, Sakura's true emotions appealed to the audience, even Hitoshi's parents who weren't paying as much attention earlier.

     "That poor girl, " his mother commented as the pinkette soldiered through the show. His father shook his head to agree.

     As soon as the show ended, Sakura made sure not to let up her partial act. The last things she wanted was for rumors that could be backed against her stunt. Mary Ham was sweating bullets at her own misguided action and didn't seem to pick up on Sakura's true intention, a feat very great since she was supposed to be a seasoned reporter.

     Sakura gently tugged on her manager's sleeve. "... I want to go home."

     He nodded, and without a second thought she was escorted to her vehicle. The car drive home was a quiet one and Sakura refused to say another word. If she could trick a person close to her, then there was no doubt that the mass public would be too.

     The pinkette was dropped of and left to her own devices in her condo. Finally in the comforts of her home, she let out a strangled giggle of joy. Her performance was well worth it and had proved that she still had some of the kunoichi manipulation in tact. 

     She laid on the couch and scrolled through her phone, feeling buzzing in her chest as she saw support for herself while slander for the reporter. It was the interviewer's fault for being so arrogant and ignorant. It was all by her own choice.

      Opening up her contacts and pulling up Hitoshi's number, she tapped on it. The line rang before her classmate picked it up. "Sakura?"

     "So... Are we good for tomorrow?"