Burning Angels And Fighting An Old Foe

They all needed to burn. It was the only thing I could think about as I felt my bloodlust take over. Their screams of pain were like music to my ears. I lost track of how many Angels and 'holy' creatures I slaughtered fighting alongside my people.

Each time I felt my blade pierce an enemy or burned one to ashes. I could feel my energy quickly leaving me. Even though my flames continued to surround and protect me from enemies up close. They didn't stop the arrows from going directly into my limbs or torso.

Fia and Shadow fought close beside each other as her mount stabbed opponents. I had fought my way ahead with a few of the other men. While our main female archers covered us from a distance. They had much keener sight than the men in this realm.

Although I didn't recognize many troops from the first war. I had my faith in Fia that she trained them well. As the total number of corpses continued to rise. I noted we were definitely pushing them back towards the portal to Limbo.

That was until a different kind of warrior arrived. Although he had wings. He was the only one to have them tucked in and be dressed in simple black and green leather-looking armour. He had his hood covering most of his face and he only used spiked knuckles to kill his opponents.

Each of our men that attacked him were quickly dispatched with accurate and powerful punches. He even made me uneasy, which the men with me took notice too. They grew nervous as we got closer and closer.

But the closer we got to the man. The more his fighting style became recognizable. He guarded his lower left ribcage more than the rest of his body.

"Keep away from the Dark Angel!" I instructed the men around me.

They were quick to pull back and keep to their regular foes as I moved in on the new enemy. I stabbed and slashed my way through the other foes without much difficulty. Creating a trail of bodies and blood. My blade and armour had been stained long ago from all the enemies I had taken down.

It was slightly sickening to see the sort of monster I had become. When really this was the monster I had always been. But to protect our people and the ones I love. I would become this monster every time.

I looked at the man ahead of me. A clear path led directly too him as the surrounding Angels attempted to avoid the battle to come. He met my eyes and removed his hood. His true appearance came as a slight surprise. I had thought he moved in a familiar way.

It was Ace! His green hair was longer and a more natural tone now. Dark blue eyes narrowed as my flames died down. His eyes held confusion and recognition.

"Dante?" Ace questioned and lowered his fists.

"Yeah. It's me Ace. Turns out my name's actually Kai."

The conversation had quickly turned so casual. Almost as if we were friends. I owed this poor man a lot. He lost his own life because of me.

"Champion! Do you dare defy your creator?" The God of Light's voice echoed throughout the area.

Although the God was nowhere to be found. His question was certainly directed at Ace for he flinched from the voice and clutched his abdomen. Maybe he had done something to Ace? This came as more of a shock to me. I didn't want to fight Ace! I couldn't bring myself to kill him!

"I'm sorry, D-Kai!" Ace suddenly yelled before sprinting full force in my direction.

I made sure that all the troops were far enough away before calling on my flames. I was just able to pull up my flaming sword in time to block his first punch.