Living Again~ Nineteen

Start from the beginning

"We're here!" I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Ethan say that. We're here already? I looked out the windshield and realised we were at the park. 

"Casey wants to celebrate her birthday at the park?" I asked doubtfully.

"Yup. She just wants to do something down to earth and normal. She wants to have a picnic then she wants me to teach her some skate boarding tricks."

I smiled, "Cool."

Ethan walked to a spot and I followed him. There I saw Casey and Brianna sitting on a picnic blanket and taking things out of a basket. When they saw us, Casey immediately came and hugged us both. Ethan wrapped his hand around my waist which made me feel much more comfortable at being face to face with Brianna. 

"Hi Marissa, hi Ethan! The food is almost ready." She said cheerfully. We just smiled and immediately dug in. There was mainly junk food like donuts and cookies but that was fine by me. An easy chatter followed our unhealthy meal.

"You know," Casey said, "Mommy would kill me if she found out that I had been taking in so much sugar. She says it'll give me a bulging tummy. You won't tell her, will you?!"

We all assured her that we won't. I just felt so bad for Casey, she couldn't even eat junk food without worrying over what her mom will say about that. I didn't talk much, just nodded and smiled every  now and then. Casey was talking about her school and after that Brianna and Ethan shared some of the crazy things they did as kids. It was all so hilarious, at one point I almost choked on my drink. 

I could really feel myself warming up to Brianna, it was so obvious she had changed. There was just something different about her now. 

"Ethan can you teach me the tricks now?" Casey asked hopefully. 

He said, "Sure sure. Let's go!"

They got up and waved at us to go to the skating rink. I was now alone with Brianna. We silently cleared up the food and the mess but it didn't feel too awkward. After we were done she said, "Marissa. We  need to talk."

I nodded and we went to sit against a big tree next to our picnic spot.

She continued, "I was such a bitch. I'm so so sorry. I just... I don't know what the hell was wrong with me. I was always following Rebecca around like a puppy or something and I followed anything she  said and I hurt you and I'm so so sorry! Please forgive me, I was so stupid. You didn't deserve any of that! I'll understand if you're not ready to forgive me but I just want you to know that I regret each action and word I said against you."

I gave her a sideways hug and said, "It's ok Brianna. That was a pretty rough time in my life. I've moved on, thanks to Ethan. I'm happy now, even after everything I've lost. And you don't have to apologise anymore."

"Oh, you're the best Marissa!" She hugged my tighter and I laughed. Then she blurted out, "No wonder Ethan is totally in love with you."

I could feel myself blushing. "Well... He has changed me. I used to be so dead. It was as if I was alive and I could function, but mentally I was out of it, like I was dead inside. But then he came into my life and everything changed. I'm happy now."

I couldn't believe I had  confessed all of that but it didn't matter, it was the truth. She looked at me and said, "He has. You look amazing, there's this glow inside of you. But don't forget that you have changed him too."

I frowned, "How have I changed him?"

"Ethan was going through a lot of family problems, he had a rough childhood. His parents were always very critical of him, they always made him feel bad about himself. Heck, his mom is doing it again with Casey, throwing her into the beauty queen world when Casey is the complete opposite of that. Anyways, Marissa, look at him now. He's REALLY happy, he's always smiling. Instead of getting mad at his parents or feeling  bad about himself, now he just shrugs it off and thinks about you instead."

Wow. I didn't realise I had such a great impact on Ethan's life. 

"Oh." Then I decided to change the topic, "Ethan's mom seems to like you."

I think she knew where I was gong with this. Of course, I had clearly remembered how Ethan's mother was trying to matchmake him with Brianna. I was actually slightly jealous. Brianna laughed lightly and said, "His mom just likes me because I used to do pagaents too. Unlike Casey I actually used to like them. And modelling is something I've been doing this summer. She wants Casey  to be like me, which is completely pathetic, Casey says she wants to be a sports player."

I noticed how Brianna somehow always ended up talking about Casey instead of Ethan. Or maybe I was just too eager to talk about him. Just then Ethan and Casey came over, grinning. 

"I can do the trick now!" She smiled happily which made us all just look at her in awe, her innocence was beautiful.

I said good bye to Brianna and Casey who were heading off in Bri's car. 

"It was so good to meet you Marissa!" She said and I hugged her. We exchanged numbers and I promised to meet up with her soon. She was really someone I could see myself getting along with.

When I got to my house I asked Ethan, "Are you going to come inside?"

"Of course."

Once in my  room he said, "Marissa... I need to ask you something."

Uh-oh. Why did he look shy? Ethan Reed was never shy. This had to be something serious. Then he continued, "Would you like to... um.. go out with me.. tomorrow?"

I looked at him confusedly, "I don't get it. We've been hanging out for the enitre summer. Why are you asking me this so formally?"

"No no. I mean like.. on a date.. with me."

Oh. So this is why he was so nervous. I pretended to think about it then blurted out, "Of course I'll go, idiot!"

He smiled a  little then pulled me into a kiss. I wonder where we would go for the date. He always managed to suprise me.

He stayed in my house all day and he kissed me about a thousand times while we watched a movie and talked. 

Before leaving my room he said, "Oh, Marissa, I'll pick you up at 7 tomorrow night. Wear something pretty."

He winked and left my room to head back home. I sighed, thinking of how much I miss him already. But then my bedroom door burst open and he rushed towards me saying, "Oh I almost forgot!"

Just when I was about to ask him what, he rushed over to me and kissed me good night.