The Interview and Lunch

Lena exited the elevator, at 8:50, she had gotten dressed at home and decided to take her protection detail to breakfast, it was nice to talk to someone who she couldn't fire. And honestly, she liked the fact that they had cared so much for Kara. A tear slid down her cheek as she thought of the beautiful blonde, her smile and laugh had always made Lena feel safe, like she was truly at home, now she didn't know if she would ever feel like that again. She opened the door to her outer office and was greeted by a sleepy looking Jess. Eric took his place at the door and Wally excused himself to go take care of some paperwork.

"Good morning Ms. Luthor."

"Good morning Jess, did you have a nice evening?"

"Yes ma'am, thank you for asking, thank you for everything."

Lena smiled, a true smile, as she spoke, "You are her family Jess, I owe it to all of you."

"You were family too Ms. Luthor.", Jess responded, a catch in her throat.

Lena knelt down and drew Jess into a hug, allowing Jess to cry on her shoulder. "I know I was Jess, but I was to blinded by my own anger to see what I had in front of me."

"She loved you Ms. Luthor."

"Thank you Jess, I don't think I deserved her love."

"She did.", Jess said in a whisper.

Lena smiled then, and looked to Jess, "From now on Jess, my name is Lena, Ms. Luthor is only for professional visitors, so please, call me Lena."

"Yes ma'am, I mean Lena."

"Can you send in my 9 o'clock when she arrives please?"

"She is already here Lena."

"Oh damn, I haven't even had a chance to look over her resume."

"I think you will find she is more than qualified, Ms. Luthor."

Lena looked to Jess, but couldn't figure out what she was missing. She opened the door to her office to see the back of a woman, she looked familiar, but, oh shit, Jessica.

"Good Morning Ms. Luthor, I'm Samantha Arias, I'm here to interview for the CFO position. I have my resume right here if you would like to look it over."

"Sam, what, how..why?", Lena stuttered.

"Lena, are you okay?"

"Why would you come back? After what I did?"

"It's what friends do Lena."

"And you are my friend?"

"I would like to be, if you have space in your heart."

"Yes, please."

"This won't affect me getting the position will it Ms. Luthor."

"No ma'am, you are hired, when can you start?", Lena smiled, all the way to her eyes.

"I can start Monday, Lena. Now can we catch up, then go to lunch together."

"Yes, that would be wonderful, let me let the guys know."

"The guys?"

"My DEO protection detail, really nice guys, they worked with Kara, and they listen really well."

For the next three hours the two women discuss L Corp's financials and a few research and development projects they have that Sam admits aren't to far over her head. Finally they take a break and decide to head out to lunch. "Do you mind if Ruby joins us Lena? She has been stuck with her tutor all morning, she got kinda used to me being home."