XXVII. Anger And Pain

Start from the beginning

Alex nods, his face still furious. "We're a family. Do you know what that means? It means we do things together. You didn't lean on us, you didn't even try to let us help you. You just up and left; taking the weight of the world on your shoulders and leaving us all alone."

I shake my head, feeling a tear slip down my face. "Alex—"

"No. Just because you're a hero now doesn't mean you get to pull shit like that. Did you even think about any of us? I already lost Mama and Papa, did you think I could ever handle losing you? What about Bucky? He's gone half mad with you gone. Khari has been frantic, Okoye hasn't rested, Shuri didn't leave her lab for the entire time you were gone. T'Challa went against the wishes of the council and has spent the last week in Russia searching for you. All these people you just casted aside."

Now I'm the one that's angry. "I didn't cast you aside! You can yell at me all you want, but I did the right thing. She has our powers, she could have sensed if anyone came with me. She would have fled and killed more and more innocent people until I confronted her alone. Don't insinuate that it was easy for me to leave. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I did it because it was the right thing to do."

A couple tears fall down his cheeks, and all he does is shake his head. "If there's one thing I've learned from you, is that there's always another way. You could have stayed here and tried to work something out with us, but you just left. You left me."

Without another word he storms out of the lab, making his way up the stairs without looking back at me. I wipe away another tear that falls down my face as I hear his footsteps growing fainter and fainter.

Khari gently pats my back. "He'll come around, he just needs to calm down. I would have done the same thing in your position, so would have any of us."

I nod to him, starring at the staircase. "Will you go make sure he's alright?"

Khari nods. "You should get some more rest, I'll come by and see you later." He says, leaning forward and kissing me on the top of the head, before he makes his way towards the stairs.

I look over at Bucky, finding him unusually quiet. Tears are still brimming my eyes, and I find my voice is thick as I ask him; "Are you mad at me too?"

He shakes his head. "I have no right to be. I've done the same thing to you twice. I've left you to protect you, to protect others. I understand...and I probably would have done the same thing in your position."

I nod my head, wiping at my eyes again. I grab hold of his hand, brushing my fingers over his knuckles gently. "Just because you would have done the same thing doesn't mean you can't be angry. I was angry with you when you left me in Germany, even though I wouldn't have done any different."

He shakes his head, avoiding my eyes, lazily touching my hand. "I was mad at first, but it quickly faded. The past week I haven't cared about anything else other than getting you back. I started thinking about what life would look like if we didn't find you...or if you died..." he trails off, his voice growing strained. "Seeing...seeing you lying on the ground like that; you looked so afraid, so confused and in so much pain...and then on the way back here, with the blood loss...It was my worst fear come to life. I thought I lost you." he mumbles, a tear slipping down his cheek.

I pull on his arm, tugging him up towards me. He wraps his arms around my waist, burying his head in my neck. I wrap my arms around his neck, running my hands through his hair. I let out a shaky breath, tightening my grip on him. We keep getting separated; whether it's one of us being captured, frozen, or even dead. Time keeps being taken from us, which makes moments like these all the more important. Bucky feels these same emotions, and neither of us speak as we hold each other; we just live in the moment and feel the happiness we both deserve.

He pulls back from me after a few minutes, pulling something out of his pocket. He dangles it in front of me, smiling at the object. It's his dog tags. He gently pushes my hair back and places them around my neck, before leaning his forehead against mine.

"Are you still tired?" Bucky asks me, cupping my face gently with his metal hand. "Bruce said it might take you a few more days to be back to normal."

I nod to him. "Yeah, but can you take me to our room? I don't want to be in this lab any longer."

Bucky gives me an understanding look. He gently takes out the IV, before he wraps his arms around my waist and legs, lifting me once again in a bridal style. I wrap my arms around his neck and lean my head against his chest, letting out a deep exhale.

"How about I put on Breakfast at Tiffany's for you when we get there? And how about a hot bath?"

I lift my head up, kissing him on the cheek. "That sounds incredible. Especially since you still haven't seen Breakfast at Tiffany's."

"Hopefully I'll like it better than Dirty Dancing."

I roll my eyes, leaning my head against his chest again. "I still can't believe you don't like my favorite movie."

"He was a complete jackass to her. And he's an instructor at that lodge, so she's much too young for him."

I give him a pointed look. "You really don't want to go down that road, Liebchen. You're seventy one years older than me."

He glares at me. "I thought we agreed not to talk about that."

I shrug. "You chose to criticize Johnny, so I'm pointing out that you're a hypocrite."

He shakes his head at me, kissing my nose. "Remind me not to criticize your movies anymore."

I smile to myself, tightening my arms around him. "I'll make sure you don't forget."