Chapter 38: And . . . Posted

A R I A

My aunt and uncle are the best actors I know. I wouldn't be surprised if they left for Hollywood tomorrow morning. They had been real tricksters when they were kids, fooling their parents into thinking they were sick so that they wouldn't have to go school. That's what Mom and Dad told me, anyway. While Lydia could bawl her eyes out on command, Paul could act like the most heartless person in the world whenever he pulled off that emotionless face of his. Sometimes I wonder if it's actually an act or not.

At this moment, everything feels peaceful. My aunt and uncle are chatting quietly amongst themselves with Joyce and Miles' parents. When Kristen saw me this morning, she had burst into tears and almost crushed my ribs when she pulled me into one of her famous hugs. One of the nurses had even threatened to sedate her because she wouldn't let go and continued to go on and on about how terrified she really was. Even though she was about to cut off my air supply, I was grateful to have her there with me. She reminds me of Mom, in some ways.

Hailey is braiding Zoe's hair as she sits on the floor next to the bed and stares at the television, switching channels until she finds a show she's satisfied with. Lizzy is sitting where Miles did last night while she rants about the new camera she got, showing me all of its special features. She clicks pictures of me when I'm not looking, so I just chose to go with the flow and continue to finish the portrait I never got to complete in my sketchbook. Thank God Paul brought it for me this morning. My fingers had been itching to get ahold of a pencil or pen ever since I woke up.

Everyone's here, except the boys are down the hall trying to get some candy bars from the vending machine. Don't they know those things are rigged?

The staff didn't bother to remind them of the "Only two people at a time" rule since they knew they wouldn't listen anyway.

Miles promised he would fill me in on everything that had happened while I was . . . asleep, but only once I'm fully recovered, much to my dismay. Dr. Rhodes told me it's been two very long weeks. Two weeks worth of school work to catch up on. The lemon meringue pie I left in the fridge expires today. I could've eaten that in the last two weeks. What a waste of food.

I look up from my sketchbook and tuck the pencil into the bun that my hair is pulled in. Ears, I've learnt, aren't very reliable when it comes to holding art tools. My eyes meet Lizzy's watery ones. Her big grin had now transformed into a sad smile as she wipes her eyes with her hoodie's sleeves. Actually, scratch that. I'm one hundred percent sure it's Ryan's hoodie.

"Liz? What's wrong?" I ask, setting the sketchbook aside. Why is she suddenly crying?

She shakes her head and throws her arms around my neck. "I just really missed you. It was so hard, coming in here everyday and seeing my s-sister in that state."

Her grip is tight, but not nearly as tight as Kristen's. I smile and hug her back. "Well, I'm here now."

I pull away and tap Zoe's head. She looks up and sticks her tongue out at me before swatting Hailey's hands away from her hair. Zoe props herself up and rests her chin the edge of the bed, her face full of concern when she notices Liz's slightly red eyes.

"What happened? Are you okay, Liz?"

She only smiles and focuses her attention on me.

"Okay, how about this: as soon as I'm out of this way too thin hospital gown and when I get home, we can have a sleepover. Just like we used to." I suggest, pinching the fabric of the gown. Can't I just wear my regular clothes now?

Zoe frowns. "Aren't you still living with Miles, though?"

"No. Uncle Paul told me they've got everything cleaned up by now."