12 [Luna Malik]

It has been 6 days since I ran from Dad and 3 days since I ran from home. I am still in the hotel room at Otuka.
I take a shower and get changed. I no longer have a suitcase but a big sized book bag at my back.

The clock indicates 13:10, I slightly slide the curtains on the window and look outside to crosscheck if I find anybody suspicious.
Once I make sure, I sit on the floor and wait for a while. I quietly tear up.
For how long am I going to run like this?

I immediately wipe off my tears and get myself up. I walk to the dressing mirror and contemplate my image in the mirror.
There are no more marks on my face. I force myself to smile but it disappears in seconds. I don't have the courage to smile yet.
They are still after me.

I walk out of the room and tiptoe to the reception. Carefully, I observe around and recognize two black men coming into the hotel.
I turn away. How did they find me again?
I hear one of the men talk to a staff right behind me.

"Have you seen any mixed face light black skinned girl around?"
I hold my breath.
"No, I'm sorry" the staff responds.
I then hear footsteps getting away from me. I slowly turn and see those men who all towards the opposite direction.
I swiftly walk out of the hotel.

Here they come, 3 black men standing on the other side of the street. I step back and move to the left. I see another 2 black men. I gasp and move back to the right side. I see my grandfather.
I try to run back to the hotel, unfortunately I face the 2 men I thought I escaped from.
When I turn, I see my grandfather right in front of me and this time, all the men grab my arms and force me into a car.

I am sandwiched by 5 men. I have been caught once again. One of the men grab my chin and exhales his stinky breath on me by saying "Today you'll see".
I give him a glare.

"Ahmed we've found her. Yes she's with us in the car right now. We are coming" facing me, the other man talks on the phone with Dad.
I look away.

They take me to a certain building and drag me inside.

"Go and meet your father, spoiled child" the man hits my head

I follow them to the last floor of the building where Dad sits on a stool.
He turns to look at me. He looks linner than he's ever been. I glare at him. He looks furious. I try to step back but the men push me forward.
I shiver.
He gets up and walks to me.

"Luna,I warned you", he says and slaps me

"Luna,I warned you", he says and slaps me. Grandfather walks to the stool dad sat on and brings out a small knife.
I shake my head out of fear.
I try to move back, they don't make me.

"Grandfather please!" I beg him.
Dad grabs my hands and pulls me to the stool. Grandfather sets his eyes on me. Dad removes my long sleeve.

I scream loudly when I feel a sharp unfamiliar pain in my back. Then I feel something drop to the ground.
Blood.
I cover my mouth with my hands. I try to move but Dad holds me back.
Grandfather is making cuts on my back with the knife he had in his hand.
I cry out. I see more blood dripping.
Pains.
My visions becomes blurry due to the tears filled in my eyes.

"The next time you are going to misbehave, you'll see this mark and remember the pain", grandfather shows me the knife which has my blood on and murmurs. I know clearly that I would never forget this man's face.

He brings the knife closer to my face and tries to make a cut. I bite his hand while pushing Dad and fall onto the ground.
Dad gets up faster than I could and hits me with a belt. I feel like a slave.
He continues to hit me but I don't talk, I don't move. I only feel the pain and the warm tears rolling down my cheeks.
Grandfather stops Dad and throws me on the ground.

"Next time you try this with us, you will die in my arms!". He shouts.

I get up and grab my long sleeve that was ditched on the ground.
I walk to the exit but the men standing don't allow me to pass through. Dad gives them a sign to allow me out and they do accordingly.
I walk down the stairs while cleaning the blood on my back with a scarf. I wear my long sleeve.

"You better wait for me in the car" I hear Dad's disgusting voice from the top.
In the next second, I hear footsteps. I am sure that the men are to follow me and walk me to the car.

I begin running. Enduring the pain on my back I still run.
The men run after me.

While running, a hand wraps my hand and I look forward. A guy is running in front of me with his hand on mine.
He pulls me as he runs. I also run after him.
They are still after us.
I feel a drop of water on my forehead. Before I know, we are both beaten by the rain while we continue to run.

The men stop running when the rain begins falling cats and dogs.

I study the guy well and notice that he is Kinta. I hold his hand tightly. He turns and looks at me.

We run into a bus that goes to Takadanobaba.