Chapter 14 : Inaayat

【 14

【 14.

Fourteen

Inaayat 】

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Inaayat • kindness ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      ROSALINE THANKS THE bellboy who leaves the spare key card on her table, where she’s sat down for breakfast. She wasn’t sure if the front desk needed to be informed in advance to scan a new card for her, so Rosaline stopped by them the first thing once she stepped out of the elevator.

Apparently it takes just a matter of minutes to get it done, because she has barely begun her breakfast and they’ve already sent it to her, rather than waiting for her to come and collect it once she’s done with her meal.

Rosaline picks out a tissue paper from the holder in the centre of the table, spreading it out on her plate and then placing the croissant on top of it, before wrapping the tissue around the lower half. They’re warm and buttery, and Rosaline doesn’t want any of it getting onto her hands.

She’s just about to take her first bite, when someone stops at her table.

Glancing up while lowering the croissant, Rosaline finds herself looking at a woman with dark hair and lighter highlights, a stylishly framed reading glass perched on her nose.

“Miss Davenport?”

“Mrs Bonovich,” Rosaline corrects, offering her a polite smile.

“Right, of course,” the woman instantly backtracks with a sheepish smile of her own, “I’m Marley Hudson, with the Springfield Daily.”

Rosaline’s smile—even though it’s forced and not genuine—slips right off her face. She’s not dealing with a reporter. No way.

She sits up straighter immediately, “I’m sorry, I—”

“Oh, I’ve just got a few questions,” Marley Hudson cuts in, apparently knowing what Rosaline wanted to say. “I won’t take much of your time.”

“It’s not about my time,” Rosaline manages to say in a neutral tone, keeping her sudden annoyance at bay. She doesn’t want to cause a scene here. “I just don’t want to answer any questions. Please let me be.”

“Mrs Bonovich, I—” The woman stops all of a sudden as her eyes latch onto something over Rosaline’s shoulder. There’s a small gasp that leaves Marley Hudson’s mouth.

Rosaline knits her eyebrows together and is about to look over her shoulder at the same time that Zachary stops by her side.

She leans back in surprise, not having expected him to approach her. Rosaline was hoping that he paid heed to her words and would have his meal, but she really didn’t expect him to interact with her—at least, not for the rest of today. He’s already had to put up with a lot.