Chapter 6 - The Taste Test

Satoo was right, the large container filled with the food her and Mion had made for me was stored right at the back of my refrigerator. I reached inside and pulled it out onto my kitchen work surface. Taking off the lid I found a note inside, covering the contents.

'I hope this note finds you well, Rena and family. We have prepared a meal just for you, but this isn't any ordinary meal; it is also a game.'

I looked underneath the note to find 5 equally sized, equally delicious looking buns, each labeled with A, B, C, D and E.

'This game requires one player only, and requires that player to eat each and every bun in the container. Four of the buns were bought from a shop nearby - the other was made by our chef's in training; Satoko and Mion. To win the game you must successfuly guess which bun was made by Satoko and Mion. Tell them the next time you see them which bun you thought they created and if you are correct you will recieve a prize. If unfortunately you guess wrongly however, there will be a penalty. Enjoy the game.'

I imagined this was something Satoko had come up with, in the short time I have spent with her I have discovered she is quite the one for games and pranks. All these buns looked exactly the same though! They both must have but in a lot of time and effort to create a bun this close to the ones from the shop. I decided to (being the strange person I am) create an order for these buns to be eaten. I decided B, A, D, E, then C. I never knew why I do things like that, it just makes things feel more interesting to me, even if nothing comes of it. I got a notebook and pen to write down each individual taste; I wasn't about to loose this game and loose some of my pride. Taking the bun marked with the letter B I removed the casing and took a bite. The light texture was gorgeous, fine enough to be sold at a shop - but I shouldn't write it off so quickly as this was only the first one! After putting the now empty case to the side and writing down the eact taste I picked up Bun A and ate the contents. After writing down in my notebook that it tasted the exact same I picked up D and took a bite as large as I could and swallowed. This tasted exactly the same too, until;

The fire rushed up my throat, the core of the piercing pain stabbing half way down my neck. I bentover, clutching my stomach as the sharp pain seemed to intensify. Coughing and spluttering I managed to make my way over to the sink, where I threw up the buns I have had so far and possibly the meal before that. I peered into the sink to see blood and sick, but as I was about to cringe away from the mess a small shiny object poking out from the buns I had eaten. Looking at it I realised what I saw was a long tacking needle.

What is this! Are they trying to kill me? I launched my hand at my cell phone, checking through the little phone numbers I had gained since my stay in Hinamizawa and looked for Mion's or Satoko's. There was Keiichis's, the pharmacists, my teacher from schools work phone, my mums, and Satoko's! I dialed the number whilst scratching my aching throat. The phone rung 5 times before going to voice mail, and I threw my phone on the floor in disgust.

Tap...... tap... tap.......

My head swung round to hear the inconsistent sounds of something like a rock hitting a window somewhere.

Tap......tap...

My curiosity taking the lead I followed the sound to my bedroom.

Tap.....

Opening my curtains I peered through my window to see who was so intent on getting my attention.

They were there.