chapter six - roses

|ROSES|

|ROSES|

    "THIS IS A CODE RED ALERT. PLEASE, REMAIN CALM," A woman's voice sounded in the intercom. Finnick looks at Cato, "Dad, what's going on?" Cassia asks and Finnick picks her up. "We need to go somewhere safe," he says and he looks around. "Cato, take her, I need to get something," he says as he hands Cato Cassia. "Dad, daddy where are you going?" 

     Finnick went back to the room to look for two things, his locket and a photo of the small family, him, Cordelia, and their two children.  "Blast doos will be sealed in 4 minutes," he hears as he reaches the stairwell, quickly going down the stairs. "This is a code red alert, please remain calm and begin evacuation protocol."

       Water started to pour on everyone as they descended down to level 40 for safety. "We don't have much time," someone yells and everyone continues to run. "Blast doors will close in 2 minutes," with that he ran inside, not noticing that Katniss ran out looking for her sister. 

      "Daddy, I thought you left me," Cassia cries in his arms and he let out a shaky breath. "No, never," he whispers and she continues to sob into his shoulder. 

     After a while, Cassia went to sleep and Finnick placed her down. "Did you see Esther?" Cato asks and Finnick's eyes widen. "No, no, I didn't she isn't here?" Cato gulps as the blast doors shut closed. "She said she wanted fresh air. She went outside," he whispers the last part and Finnick's breath hitched. "I can only think of the worst," he says and Cato looks down.

       "Cordelia has no idea," Cato whispers and Finnick closes his eyes. "It's my fault, Esther wanted to get away from me when I came into the room," Finnick says and Cato shakes his head. "It isn't your fault. No one knew this would happen," he says and he pats Finnick's back. "I'm going to see what's down here," Cato whispers and Finnick didn't respond.

    The lights flicker and the place shook multiple times. Explosions continue to happen and Cassia woke up. She walks towards Finnick and she places his hand in his. "I'm scared daddy," she whispers and he wraps an arm around her. "Don't worry, we are safe here," he whispers and she hugs him as many people start to scream from the explosions. 

The lights went out and Cassia let out a slight scream. "Don't worry, we have a light," Finnick says and he turns it on. "Here want to hold it?" He asks and she nods before taking it gently in her hands. He wraps both of this arms around her. "Everything is going to be okay...I promise."

    Everything was okay at that moment, Cassia went to hang out with Prim, Katniss' sister and Finnick fiddles with the picture in his hand. "I love you so much," he whispers as his tear falls on the bottom left corner of the photo. "Hey," he hears and he looks up to see Katniss. "Can I sit?" She asks and he nods before sitting up. 

      She looks at the photo in his hands. "Snow is using them to punish you, they are is weapons against you," Katniss says and Finnick gulps as he clenches his jaw. "He's taunting us with them," she adds and she looks at the happy faces they all had. "I didn't understand until just now watching that stupid cat."

    "That stupid cat is also making my daughter smile right now, so remind me to thank your sister for saving him," he says and she slightly smiles. "After your first Games, I thought the whole romance was an act. A copy of the strategy Cordelia and I had, but ours was real. We all expected you to continue that strategy. But it wasn't until Peeta's heart stopped and he nearly died that...I knew I missed judged you," he says while looking at Katniss. 

      "You love him, I'm not saying in what way. Maybe you don't even know yourself. But anyone paying attention can see it," he says and Katniss looks away from him. "How do you live with it?" She asks and he takes a deep breath. "I drag myself outta nightmares and there's no relief in waking up," he starts. 

       "But it's better not to give in to it." Katniss looks at him. "Takes 10 times longer to put yourself back together than it does to fall apart," he says before looking back to the photo. 

       Katniss walks outside to destruction and an enormous pile of roses. "Why would they drop these?" Gale asks and she picks one up. "For me," she says as she breathes hard. "Ready to go Katniss?" Cressida, a woman she met not long ago, asks her. "We're going to do this, just like District 8," she says and Katniss looks at her as Cressida's friend puts on the recorder. 

        "Tell me about the roses," Cressida tells her and Katniss looks around. "Tell Snow 13 is alive and well."

      Katniss looks away and she mumbles something. "Let's try again. Can you speak up? We don't have a mic on you," Cressida says and Katniss gulps. "'13 is alive and well and so am I,'" Cressida says for Katniss to follow and Katniss takes in a breath. "He's going to kill Peeta...I can't," Katniss whispers and Haymitch looks at her. 

    "You can do this Katniss," Haymitch says and Katniss looks around more. "I can't do this," she mutters, Cressida speaks up again. "'13 is alive and well and so am I'."

    "He's just going to keep...he's never gonna stop-," Katniss says and Haymitch walks towards her. "Katniss, '13-"

       "Cressida, we should cut the cameras," Haymitch says and he hugs Katniss. "-as long as I'm The Mockingjay," she says and Haymitch rubs her back. "It's okay, Katniss."

     "No. He warned me. He warned me about this, he's doing this because I'm The Mockingjay," Katniss says and she looks at Haymitch in distress. "He's punishing Peeta to punish me. No. No, I can't do this," she says and she slowly starts to walk away. "Katniss," Cressida says and Katniss glares at her. "Don't make me do this!" Katniss sneers her way and she goes inside, panting, and whispering that she had to get out of there.

      Cressida brought Finnick outside and he gulps knowing who is under the ruble, "You okay Finnick?" Cressida asks him and he nods. "Just go on those rocks okay?" She asks him and he did as told. "Castor, to the left, Pollux, you're with me," she says and Finnick looks around. "So we'll go straight to the camera. Okay? Finnick?" Cressida asks him as the lights brought outside lighten his features. 

     "Take your time, just remember to keep talking and don't stop," she says and he clears his throat. "This is Finnick Odair, 1 out of 2 winners of the 65th Hunger Games and I'm coming to you from District 13, alive and well. We've survived an assault from the Capitol. But I'm not here to give you recent news-"

      Katniss looks away from the screen where Finnick is doing a fae prop up and she sees the 6 volunteers who are going to rescue the Victors and Caspian.