Chapter 13

Being Watched

Chapter 13

Lying on my bed Saturday afternoon, my thoughts drift to the events of the week. It was a pretty eventful week.

After calling Andy on Monday right after school, I went home and waited for him to text me like he usually did on afternoons but he didn’t so the next day I called him again to make sure that we were okay.

He sounded better than he did on Monday but I could tell that he was still shocked and hurt. I felt extremely guilty the whole time I was talking to him but as the days passed, we started texting and things seemed to be back to normal.

Jeremy avoided me all week. He didn’t speak a word to me even though I’m sitting right next to him in class. What shocked me the most was that he didn’t even mention anything about the church meeting of Friday night. I was actually waiting for Friday to come so that he’ll talk to me at school and tell me something along the lines of ‘I’ll pick you up at seven’ but he didn’t.

Every time I tried to talk to him, he would either leave or ignore me. I was angry and hurt but I didn’t let it show.

Friday night, I got ready and waited till it was seven, hoping Jeremy would show up but he didn’t. So five minutes after seven, I decided to walk to church alone.

I was a bit scared because it was dark outside. And because I was scared, I walked a little faster so I made it to church on time.

Jeremy was already there and I could tell he was surprised when I showed up. I avoided him during the meeting and stayed with Andy instead.

When the meeting was over, I decided to man up and talk to Andy about what happened last week just to make sure that everything was okay. The conversation was a bit awkward but I didn’t expect otherwise.

“Um Andy,” I started. “We’re okay, right?”

He hesitated at first but then he smiled and said, “Yeah.”

I looked at him skeptically, wondering if he was being honest or no.

“If the roles were reversed, what would you have done?” He asked, catching me off guard. I didn’t know how to answer so I stayed quiet for a few moments, thinking it over.

“Would you have stopped talking to me or would you have forgiven me for breaking you heart?” He asked and I winced slightly at his choice of words. I didn’t mean to break his heart.

I thought about it and the answer that I came up with was that I would forgive him. We were friends before we started going out. If dating didn’t work out then it shouldn’t ruin the friendship we had before.

“I would have forgiven you,” I said then to lighten the mood, I added in a teasing tone, “After you buy me the world’s biggest cotton candy, of course.”

He laughed. “You like cotton candy?”

“It’s the most delicious thing ever created!”

He wrinkled his nose. “I think it’s disgusting.”

I gasped at him, shocked that he doesn’t like cotton candy.

“Anyway,” he carried on before I had the chance to say anything else. “I forgive you too and I think that I’m going to be your best friend forever!”

I laughed at the last part of his sentence and gave him a hug, relieved that we were still friends.

“Stephany,” My dad’s voice from downstairs cuts my thoughts.