Chapter 6: Machu Picchu

Kalera and Molly ride for three moons, stopping only twice to rest.

"Hold!" Molly yells suddenly.

Both meres stop near a tall gate. It doesn't allow for any visibility of what's behind it.

"Here we are," she announces.

"Where are we?" Kalera asks.

"Bram," Molly replies.

Looking above, they see three archers.

"State your business," they command in unison.

"I'm Molly of Toan, wife of Lord Hiddard Larks. I need to see Lord Donegal."

"Open the gates!" one of the men shouts.

The women move inside, walking slowly while looking down upon the people. Many of them are shoveling snow, while others are preparing fresh kills for meals. Some of the men and women are dueling, as to prepare for a battle of some kind.

A tall man approaches. "You will leave your meres here, and I will take you to Lord Donegal. He's expecting you."

"The condor," Kalera says.

They walk a bit before reaching the living quarters, which are more of a manner than a castle. It's large, with a flat roof, and sits on flat ground. It is made of a very dark stone, and blanketed with snow. In the distance, Kalera gazes upon an approaching woman in a white dress made of leather and pelt.

"Molly, it's good to see you."

"And you, my Lady. Kalera, this is Lady Shelleeann Donegal."

"Very nice to meet you, Lady."

"Molly, Kalera, this way to the chamber," Lady Shelleeann says.

She hands them torches as they enter a tunnel. Visibility is bad and the air is stale. Shelleeann and Molly make light conversation while Kalera thinks about why Xavgon is not communicating and why Musfall's spell won't lift.

Thinking of Musfall reminds her that she was holding Rome when she was pushed into the portal, and now she remembers exactly what happened during those moments. What must Zoran and Musfall be going through? Wherever Rome is, he is a long way from here.

After turning left, the three women come upon an ivory door. Lady Shelleeann welcomes them to the Cour Chamber. Upon entering, Kalera sees men draped in animal pelts standing around a circular table, whispering. Lady Shelleeann walks over to one of them. He is dressed as the others, but his pelt is different. It is leathery, scaly, and red. Upon looking at his face, Kalera is baffled.

"This is my husband, Tomas Donegal."

"It's good to see you again, my Lord," Molly says.

"Good to see you," he responds.

"My Lord, this is Kalera," Shelleeann says.

He examines her with his eyes, as Kalera's well up.

"Are you okay?" he asks of her.

"Yes, I'm just tired. But it's good to see—I mean—meet you," she replies as her voice cracks.

The truth is that she is not okay. Standing before her is a scrawny, pale, ginger-headed Tomas. Captain of the Eastern Fleet of Brams, he is the man who fell in love with her in the Zaylen of before.

"Am I familiar to you?" he asks.

"You are," she responds, hesitantly.

"I should be."