Chapter 4: His Captive

Evelyn awakened slowly, as she usually did during summer vacation. It was a rather luxurious feeling—knowing that you could spend the whole day in bed, watching Netflix and making brownies in a mug. She breathed deeply and caught the scent of firewood. Firewood? Her room didn't have a fireplace.

Her last memories came rushing back to her, and panic squeezed her chest. She forced her eyes to remain closed, though she desperately wanted to see where her captors had taken her. But if her captors were around, she couldn't let them know she was awake. Not until she had a plan.

Whatever was beneath her was soft—no, plush. She was on a mattress. The knuckles in her right hand still ached, likely from punching that guy who'd said he was a knight. Could he be somewhere nearby, waiting for her to wake up? Evelyn held her breath, trying to sense if someone else was in the room. Except for the snap of fire and the pinging of rain, everything was silent.

She opened her eyes and glanced down at her lower body. The bed was better dressed than she was, its black silky blanket shimmering with golden firelight. And here she was, still wearing her short shorts and a t-shirt.

But what if they'd taken her necklace? Her breath stalled as her hand flew to her neck. Once she felt the chain of her necklace, she breathed a bit easier. At least they hadn't taken it from her—whoever they were.

What had her kidnapper said about where he'd be bringing her?

I've been charged with escorting you to Torva to wed the King.

So what did that mean? Had he been telling the truth about everything—even that Torva was in another world? Did that mean she was in another world?

Hinges squeaked nearby, the sound of a door opening. She closed her eyes and held still, waiting for footsteps. Which never came. Only the whisper of rain filled the room, tempting her to open her eyes once more.

Who was inside the room? The King? Did he know she was awake? Was he just going to rape her in bed? How did marriage work here?

"So you're awake."

Despite her attempt to hold still, a startle jolted her body, from her tensing shoulders to her curling toes. She opened her eyes and drew her gaze upward.

A man loomed above her, his figure tall and muscular. A pair of green dragon wings extended from behind his shoulders. Her eyes paused on the wings. Though she would have liked to believe they were fake, they moved slightly on their own, the webbing rustling against itself. How could they possibly be real?

Her question was whisked away as the golden crown atop his black hair caught her eye. So this was the King. His clothing affirmed her assessment. His pants were black, his velvet shirt a vivid green. Gold thread glimmered at the edges and seams of his clothing. The firelight edged his angular face in bronze. His nose and prominent cheekbones cast shadows on his skin. His eyes were an even deeper green than his wings or shirt—the green of pine trees and bottomless lakes. Captivating enough for her to linger. Intense enough for her to finish her perusal.

His crown proved he was the King. His wings proved this was truly another world.

The realization so muddled her thoughts that when the King spoke she didn't initially understand him.

"Strange."

He thought this was strange?

He lowered himself, pressed his forearms to the side of the bed. The mattress sank beneath the added weight, and she stiffened to stop herself from rolling toward him. "In the pictures, you had blue eyes, verging on green."