4.4 //The Girl Who Knew Too Much//

Margot took another bite of cake and wiped her mouth. "Um, why are we sitting in the coat closet?"

I opened my mouth, looking up as the light went out. The bulb had flickered.

I swallowed. "Anya said Dean's looking for me. I already know what he's gonna say. Guess I'm just not ready to hear it."

"Dean the worst kind of tool - a useless one. I stopped liking him last Christmas when he came over, drunk, and broke one of the gifts. Dad still thinks I did it."

"If Dad found out he would have told Dean's parents--and Dean doesn't have it so good at home."

"Then why didn't you tell him it was you?"

"I did. He didn't believe me." I laughed as she socked my shoulder. "You know Dad. He means well."

Margot stared down at her plate. "Sometimes I wish that it was Dad who was sick, not Mom. Then I hate myself."

"Being sad doesn't make you a bad person, Margie. You love Dad. He knows that."

She sighed. "How is she? Just tell me, okay? Don't lie."

Margot wasn't a little kid anymore. Sometimes Dad forgot.

"She's okay, but she's not getting better. Dr. S might not let us visit for a while."

"Damnit, Tamsyn, we can take care of her!"

"How? We're in school, Dad has to work. A nurse would have to watch her during the day and I don't think Dad could afford that--"

"Whatever." Margie set her plate aside in disgust. "I'm eighteen in a few years. I'll do it myself."

"Not if I do it first."

We stared at each other. Margot was the first to break, turning her face to hide the grin. 

"Speaking of the future, what's in the cards for you and Dean? I'm sorry, Tamsyn, but he sucks. He's one of those guys that pretends to be nice around his girlfriend and does the complete opposite when she's not around. He doesn't deserve you."

For so long had I thought the opposite. "Thanks."

"And he cheats on you. I can tell by the jock look on his face. I'm not sorry."

"You're not wrong. And I'm not stupid. I know he's cheating on me with Sienna. They won't admit it because they're cowards, but so am I. Everyone was saying it. I just didn't wanna hear the truth."

"I get it. You care about them. But they're not good friends."

She was right, again. Before I could admit it, the lightbulb flickered, over and over. Between each flash I saw the Plasmalik hanging over our heads, upside down on the ceiling. I used to like being in the dark. Now I hated it.

Margie frowned at the ceiling. "The heck are you looking at?"

 "The heck are you looking at?"