Chapter Ten (Part 1)

"We're definitely not doing that again," Ava announces after letting out the longest sigh I think I've ever heard.

"The aura reading, or letting him have energy drinks?" Carmen replies with a raised eyebrow.

"Both, ideally."

Rude.

"I second that," Jamie chimes in.

"Ha, funny," I mutter sarcastically.

Turns out I'd shared a room with Ava last night. She wanted to keep an eye on me or something, which is fair enough. I've had a sleepover with everyone now. How cute. We're back at the airport for another shot at catching a flight. Do you catch a flight? Is that what people say? I don't know aviation terminology.

The storm that halted our chances of a flight yesterday is over, so here's hoping everything goes ahead without any hiccups this time. Ava and Annabel have already asked me about what I saw in my visions the other night, but I told them I still felt a little hazy and couldn't quite remember. I want to tell Annabel privately first, or at least get her version of events to compare against what I saw.

We're eating breakfast at the overpriced airport pub, and I almost got myself a pint of lager until Annabel gave me daggers from across the bar. I'm polishing off the vegetarian full english, which isn't worth the ten pounds I paid for it. It's not bad, it's just not worth a whole tenner for such a small plate. They wouldn't even fork out two eggs. Shocking, really.

I'm trying to stick with my vegetarianism considering it's the sole thing I have control over nowadays. I'm the first to finish, so once I'm done, I lift my eyes to Annabel and nod towards the seating area at the far end of the departure lounge.

"Going for a piss," I announce cheerfully, hoping off my chair.

"Don't tell us what it looks like this time, please," Jamie remarks.

"Hey, that was kind of witty. Well done, you're improving."

I move towards the toilets until I'm out of sight. I don't want anyone thinking I'm up to anything shady. Both Lucy and Annabel have followed me, so I try to shoo Lucy away. She's not having it. Whatever.

"What do you remember about the crash?" I ask Annabel.

"In what way?"

I sit down onto one of the empty chairs, far enough away from other people to not look like I'm talking to myself. "How much of it? What kind of detail?"

Annabel narrows her eyes. "Why? Is this something to do with one of your visions?"

"Sort of. I barely saw anything new. Nothing useful, for sure," I half lie. "I can't remember anything before being in our mum's arms after the crash, and I want to make sense of it." That one's just a full blown lie. "When the car was actually driving, y'know? What made it crash in the first place? All that stuff."

I feel a pang of guilt for lying, but I have to. I need to hear what she says without feeding her the breadcrumbs. I wait for my sister to say she can't remember clearly enough, or to say something about not being in the car herself, but she's taking a while. I know she must be thinking from her facial expression I know all too well. Eventually, she speaks up.

"Sort of. Not in detail. I don't know what caused the actual crash. I just have some flashes of the car going really fast, and it was raining, I think. I remember the windscreen wipers moving anyway, and Dad was talking to me a lot. I can't remember anything he said, but yeah... And I remember my legs being cramped; they were almost touching the glove compartment."

"So you were sitting in the front?"

Annabel shrugs. "I guess." She tilts her head, obviously not understanding why that specific detail is of any importance.