Chapter 8: An Australian Adventure! Part 1

Originally Published: 2013-2014 Dates updated: January or February 2018; October 2018 Jan. 13, 2020; August 26, 2023. 

      Kylie and Nicholas are in their second-to-last class of their first school day. The combined class is outside enjoying the sunny warm weather.

      Kylie and Nicholas are standing outside before the class starts. Gym classes in their old schools were much simpler. They didn't wear uniforms for gym and they also were separated. 

     At Seaside Sydney United, the last gym class of the day was typically combined with 6-12 grades to help the 6th through 8th grades get accustomed to the ways of high school. When the school was created, it was meant for an easier transition when the grades moved up.

      Moments after Nicholas and Kylie set their gym bags on a bench outside. A tall male walks past Kylie angrily throws his bag down and lets out a big frustrated growl. 

        Jakobe recognizes the guy and yells toward him. "What? Did your daddy not get you what you wanted, Finn." Jakobe looks at his friends and starts to laugh with them. Except they don't laugh. 

      Jakobe shrugs and continues anyway. "Oh wait, he's dead." Finn drew back his fist and replied. "What did you just say?"

       "You heard what I said," Jakobe says smirking at Finn. Finn puts all of his anger, all of his frustration, into one hit.

       After the sudden blow to the head, Jakobe holds his head in pain. "You're gonna regret that", Jakobe says in anger. They begin to walk toward each other their chests puffed out.

       Kylie looks down at their clenched fists from a distance and knows something bad is about to happen. Her anxiety begins to take over. 

      Before they come in contact, Kylie suddenly walks toward them saying. "Quit. It's over." Both 6-foot males don't realize the short frame coming from the crowd. They start to shove each other as a terrified Kylie steps in between them and gets pushed and falls on the ground twisting her ankle and banging her head off the ground. 

      Finn, Jakobe, and everyone else in the gym class look at Kylie in shock and in worry. Nicholas starts to walk over and help her up, but Finn quickly bends down and helps her up and sends an evil glare toward Jakobe. "You just pushed a girl!" He pauses and shakes his head. "WHY would you do that?!!!" His voice rose. Finn can't stand it when guys mistreat girls. He starts to lunge after Jakobe, but Kylie yanks him back with his green tank top. Her ankle gives out as she tries to hold onto Finn's shirt. As Finn feels the tug on his shirt loosen, he turns around quickly, catches Kylie, and asks if she is okay.

       Kylie responds in pain. "I think I am." She stares into his blue eyes, thankful she didn't fall and hit her head again. Finn continues to stare into her eyes, but Kaylees huffs brings him back to reality. 

      He helps Kylie stand up as he's holding onto her waist. Kylie starts to walk, but stumbles. So, Finn replaces his arm around her waist and guides her toward a bench.

      Kaylee says in jealousy. "Why does everyone have the hots for her? It's so unfair."

      Nicholas and Brian roll their eyes at Kaylee. Nicholas walks toward Kylie and Finn Chrisholm and starts to ask if she is okay. But he is cut off by a loud and obnoxious alarm. They all roll their eyes heading to the assigned spot they must go to when they have fire drills. Then everyone starts to ask if Kylie is okay, but she can't hear over the alarm.

      Limping to the assigned spot next to the Volleyball net, she stumbles. Finn grabs her by the waist to steady her. She looks up at him, more than a foot between them, and she smiles. "Thanks. Again." She nervously bites her lip. Finn smiles back. The big grin on Finn's face starts to make Kylie nervous.