Chapter Five: A Miscarriage Scare and Going Public

After ten years in the modelling world I had been announced as the new face of Oscar de la Renta's powerhouse in its American sector but the pregnancy had thrown a spanner in the works, so to speak, so the bosses agreed to do what they could to conceal it in photoshoots for as long as possible before the baby bump could no longer be denied and the media was going to want to know who the baby's father was, a topic that scared the wits out of me but as always Keanu was calm and rational when I mentioned it.

"We could perhaps say something along the lines of you and I having been involved in a fairly brief relationship but we are maintaining contact for the sake of the child" was a suggestion he had when talking about it and I had to admit that it was actually a pretty good one and I agreed to go with that, making sure those closest to us went along with what we had come up with as well to avoid discrepancies and it was while I was talking with Keanu about how to deal with the media that I felt something wet.

"Melody what's going on; you haven't said anything for a few minutes now" Keanu asked when I hadn't said anything for at least a minute or two and in spite of the state of shock I was in, I managed to answer him, "I think I'm losing the baby Keanu" I replied in as strong a tone that I could handle, fighting against the torrents of tears that threatened with each passing second to break free from my eyes. "I'm on your road on my way to see you; wait for me at the door; we're going to hospital" he responded.

Maybe the nurse at the front desk of the ER recognised Keanu and arranged priority or it was the look of terror on my face as I came to terms with the possibility of losing our baby at a formative time in the pregnancy that caused them to bring me out of the main waiting room and into a private treatment room with the doors closed and the blinds pulled down so as to maintain that level of privacy. Throughout the entire time I was there, not once did Keanu leave, except of course for reasons that should be pretty obvious.

He stopped by a payphone and he called my sister while he was on his way back from the bathroom and because she in fact supported our being together, in a sense, than what say my father did, no sooner had she disconnected the call on her cell phone did she get in her car and make her way to the Cedars Sinai Medical Centre Emergency room, which was the closest to my home and Keanu paid for it himself, refusing to hear any arguments about the cost from me or from my sister who had to wait with everyone else.

Even though I'd tried to fight it, the words I didn't want Keanu to hear right now just slipped on out. "I, we can't lose this baby Keanu" I said in a tone of voice that I had internally at least hoped he would not be able to hear but just my luck he did. Getting up off the plastic white coloured chair, he crossed the room in a few quick strides (hey he's 6") and sat on the bed next to me, taking both my hands into his, which he knew to do to get me to look at him.

"If this baby is going to turn out to be anything like you Mel and I admit I haven't known you for all that long but it has been long enough for me to know that you're not a quitter then this baby won't quit either; it will continue to fight whatever is happening right at this very moment for its survival" he said, his eyes never leaving mine as he began to subconsciously rub my knuckles with his fingers as if he thought it was going to somehow help to calm me and it did, much to our shared surprise.

After what seemed like an eternity, the doctor finally returned with the test results and while Keanu remained on the bed beside me, his thigh touching my knee, the doctor sat instead in the chair, asking if I had been experiencing any kind of stress in these last few days or so and I explained that my dad had been less than supportive of my being with Keanu, if that is what it could be called, causing the doctor to nod, saying that it was a likely source of the stress that'd triggered it, but the baby had withstood the stress.

Sighing with relief, I collapsed into Keanu's seemingly anticipating arms as the doctor left the room, having gotten a slight nod to do so from Keanu. "See, I told you" he said with just a hint of a laugh, trying to lighten the mood and in spite of what I was feeling then, the laugh that escaped was difficult to withhold, and he relaxed hearing that laugh, as slight as it was, "This baby didn't quit on itself or on you and I honestly believe Mel that if it can get through this; like you it can get through practically anything".

The best subject to take our minds off it was how we would explain this development in our very brief relatoinship, if that's what we were going to call it, to the general media and then the next interview Keanu did after making 'us' public would be whether or not he was ever likely to try to make it work 'again' as much for our sakes as for the baby, but we if we had to we would handle that when it came around and not a single second before as I wanted to avoid ending up back in the ER.

"Oscar de la Rental model Melody Christianson is pregnant with her first child" was the first news report after the fashion powerhouse released a statement, "The 30 year old blue eyed blonde beauty from Los Angeles revealed by way of a statement written in collaboration with de la Renta representatives that this is the result of a brief relationship with JOHN WICK's Keanu Reeves who has said that he is prepared to do anything asked of him when it comes to the wellbeing and health of their as yet unborn child".