CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN | BABY KICKS AND PAWS

AHOTE

     "Ouch!" I blinked, feeling the imprint of a little paw claw my insides. I bit down on my lips, trying to stop myself from screaming in excitement.

     A kick. I said in my head, bringing my thumb to my finger.

     "Oww." I winched, cradling my lower stomach.

     There it is again! A smile replaced the little frown of distress I had only a moment before. The last had felt less painful, like the hand of a human baby. Wolves in the womb had the same problems as toddlers. They shifted often, from cub to human baby around the same time you started to feel kicks.

     My baby was shifting.

     My baby was kicking.

     A million different emotions were rushing through me at the same time, but the joy was the overwhelming one, and the need to share that joy with Alek was strong. I felt a deep-seated urge to look for him, but as I turned towards the door, I got a whiff of his scent. The snow and pine scent that made my heart beat rapidly. He was already here.

     The door creaked, and he walked in. I could feel my heart get caught up in my throat at the view of him. His hair was free and sat on his shoulders. His blue eyes were glittering with mischief, and the smile on his lips had me flustered. I had to look away for a bit, cursing my pregnancy hormones for making me so sensitive to every and anything. I was in no position to think about things like that.

     Especially when you look like this. I shook my head, trying to push the thought to the back of my mind. Sure, I was all plump and dressed in unflattering outfits, but it was only for a bit, and it was worth it for what Alek and I were going through together. The baby mattered a lot more than my desire to be kissed and touched. Alek wasn't shallow, and I didn't think he would lose interest in me because I looked bad for a few months.

     "Hey," Alek muttered as he shut the door behind him. I looked up, being brought out of my thoughts from the sound of the door banging closed.