Chapter 17, Part 1-1

Start from the beginning

"Are you all right?" Mara shouted over the rushing wind.

She nodded, then looked toward the barn.

Jules dismounted. He ran to the door to slide it open upon its rail, but struggled with it. It wouldn't budge.

Oh, no, he can't open the door! It's locked! Mara bolted toward the barn, dismounted in a flash and tossed Cheryl's reins to him. She grasped Spira and then, with one deft move, the lock gave way.

He rolled the door open and seconds later, Nina rode inside.

Mara rushed to her side. "Are you all right?"

Therese with Reigna entered, followed by Samuel, who quickly closed the door, cutting off the storm's fury.

"I'm fine." Nina, teetering, handed the now wailing Eden, to Mara.

Jules grasped the young woman's hand and helped her to the ground. He hesitated before releasing her.

Her eyes fixed on him.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked.

"Yes," she pointed to her mount, "but I'm not so sure about Spot. He tripped and I thought we were going down. I feared he'd crush Eden and me." She looked at Mara. "Oh, I'm so sorry! Eden may have been hurt. Crushed!"

"It wasn't your fault. I should have watched the weather more closely. The storm surprised us is all. You're not to blame yourself."

A gust of wind slammed into the building. The windowpanes rattled and clattered when a small branch brushed against them.

Nina jumped. "Oh!"

Mara squatted down, chuckling. "It's all right now." She handed the infant back to her, then turned her attention to Therese. "Are you and Reigna all right?"

"Yes."

"Let's get some dry things for the girls then. Here," Mara handed her pack to Nina, "check my bag."

Samuel ran his hands over Spot's fetlock, then his knee.

"How is he?" the Oathtaker asked.

"I don't see anything wrong, but I want to keep a good eye on him." He patted the beast's neck as it reached for the carrot he held.

"I'm glad of that. We'll see how he is in the morning."

She turned away and looked around. The building consisted of one large room, its back carved deeply into the earth. A hearth graced one exterior wall. Upon the dirt floor, scattered piles of old riding tack, broken bottles and pottery, a few pails with holes, and bits of rope, laid about.

A ladder stood, leaning against a loft. She approached it to climb, but Jules intercepted her. He assured her he'd give the loft a thorough review.

She continued her survey. As she approached the window, hailstones rat-a-tat-tatted against it. A few jumped near the bottom of the door, like popcorn popping.

"What do you think of a fire?" she asked Samuel. "We could all get dry. I for one," she grabbed the bottom of her skirt and rung it in her hands, causing a stream of water to run to the floor, "am soaked."

Just then, Jules came back down the ladder. "You see how this is built into the hill?" He pointed to the back of the building.

"Yes," Mara and Samuel responded in unison.

"The upper floor goes back even farther. I think we should check it out, make sure there are no hidden dangers."

"I'll go with you," Samuel said.

The men climbed the ladder, then disappeared from view.

Mara and Nina saw to the girls' needs while Therese tended the horses, removing their wet saddles and blankets and them brushing them down.

A few quiet minutes passed, punctuated now and then with a shudder from one of the horses and the howling wind.

"Mara! Therese! We may have trouble here," Jules said, his voice strained.

"Coming!" the Oathtaker cried.

"I'm not sure you should come up."

"I'm coming anyway. I'll send Samuel down to guard you all," she said to Therese.

When she reached the loft, she directed Samuel back down, then turned to Jules. "What is it?"

He nodded toward the back of the room. They walked for a couple minutes in silence.

***Thank you for taking time with Oathtaker. I sincerely appreciate your votes and welcome your comments.*** 

Oathtaker is an award-winner in the 2014 Readers' Favorite International Book Award contest. A completed work, it is currently available in print form at CreateSpace at createspace.com/4767727, in print and for your Kindle on Amazon (see the link) and from Barnes and Noble for your Nook.