Chapter 14

Chapter 14

••Ashton's POV••

'Ashton!'
'Ash!'
'Sup loser?' Luke, Calum and Michael all walk in, each greeting me in their own...special, ways.
'Dude where have you been all summer? We heard nothing from you and I had this weird dream that you got a girlfriend.' Michael exclaims,
'You must've been dreaming mate.' I reply, before feeling a sudden wave of loss, I blink and it's gone.

Seeing nothing, Calum laughs in agreement,
'Yeah right, like Ash could persuade anyone to love that ugly mug.' Putting on a faux sad face, I pretend to wipe a tear away from my eye,
'Words hurt, you know guys.' I say, trying hard not to laugh.
'Aww Ash,' Luke says, playing along,
'I'll be nice to you!' He hugs me as I pretend to cry onto his shoulder.

'I hope you aren't doing anything you shouldn't be, Luke.' A joking voice comes from the doorway, Luke springs away from me, blushing slightly as he catches sight of his girlfriend Elsa.
'What? Me? Noooo...' Luke says grinning and kissing her lightly on the lips. Immediately Michael, Calum and I burst into protest,
'Please stop!' Michael throws his eyes in front of his face,
'No my eyes!' Cal shouts,
'It burns!' I exclaim.

They break apart with sappy grins on their faces, and for a second I feel...not jealous, but almost a sense of longing, like I lost something like they have. It's stupid though, I think I'd remember if I was in a relationship like theirs. As ridiculously romantic those two are great together.

'You alright Elsa?' I ask, grinning at her, falling back on my bed and leaning up on my elbows.
'How was your summer?' Coming over and sitting next to me, she flicks her short, dark hair out of her eyes,
'Nothing much,' she replies,
'I went back to Mexico to visit my family for a month and spent the rest of it here.'
'Mexico is 'nothing much'?' I exclaim,
'Seriously, you have nothing new to tell us?'

She laughs at my outraged expression,
'I go every summer Ashton,' She replies,
'And I didn't say I don't have something new.' I nod at her as if to say
'Go on.' And she continues,
'I'm getting a new roommate.' She finishes,
'That's cool,' I reply,
'You haven't had one for ages.
'What's her name?' Michael asks,
'I'm not sure,' she replies,
'I can't quite remember, I know it's something beginning with "H", Hannah, or Harriet or something. She's not here yet, you'll meet her at dinner probably.'

I open my mouth to reply but before I manage it, Calum interrupts,
'Okay enough with the catching up, I'm ready for some Call of Duty.' Most of the conversation drops from there, apart from the occasion swear word or someone insulting someone else's technique. Before long, the sky begins to darken, and the bell signifying dinner rings.

'Finally!' Michael exclaims,
'I'm starving!'
'Dude you've been shoving junk in your face all afternoon, how are you still hungry?' Luke asks incredulously.
'Science.' Michael replies,
'The only possible answer.' I add, and grinning we head down for food.

••Hazel's POV••

I stare up at the extremely gothic castle ahead of me, the place that'll be my home for the next year. I can't wait! I've no idea how I got in to be honest, neither of my parents are Necromancers, or a Witch and a Spirit of the dead, they're both completely mortal.

To be honest I can't remember being told but I also can't recall always knowing about it. It's just suddenly here, no warning except it can't have been...

Speaking of weird, when I saw my mum this morning she looked like she was going to have an aneurism! She went completely white, as if I was the last person on earth she was expecting to see. My dad and brothers had similar reactions, but when I spoke to them they seemed back to normal.

I don't know what's happening, it's like the past year of my life has been erased! Except it hasn't because I can remember life going in as usual, but there's a weird aspect to it, like it's a painting that doesn't have enough detail, like nothing of significance happened all year, and I definitely don't remember getting a long slice around my neck, but going by the scar there clearly I did.

And then there's that face, I can't remember it, but it's lurking just out of reach. The second I try to summon an inkling of who it may be, or what they may actually look like my mind is filled with white noise.

If I want to succeed this year I need to dispel all of these thoughts from my head, I'm going to be extremely behind everyone else. Most of them have been here since they were twelve and I'm joining the last, oldest year with the eighteen and nineteen year olds. I'm going to have to knuckle down and work hard.

Pulling at the handle of my suitcase, I climb the many stairs up to the building. When I walk in, I'm greeted by a surprisingly modern interior, judging by the outside I would've though it would be all stone and cobwebs, but the only remotely un-modern things here are the many candelabras adorning the walls.

Walking across the hall are a group of four boys and a girl and I hurry towards them,
'Excuse me!' I call out, they all turn to stare at me curiously,
'You okay? A boy with bright red hair asks,
'Err, I'm new here and I'm not sure what...' I trail off blushing slightly under all their gazes.
'You're new and don't know where to register?' A boy with curly hair and amazing eyes, a mix of green, brown and hazel.
'I err yeah.' I mumble, something twisting in my stomach, do I know him?
'I can show you,' He says, grinning at me,
'The names Ashton.' I smile back,
'Hazel.' I reply, the girl, with shortish dark brown hair and lightish brown skin butts in,
'Hazel Edgewood?' She asks,
'Yeah?' I reply,
'I'm Elsa, your roommate.'
'Oh awesome.' I smile at her,
'It's nice to meet you.'
'Yeah,' She grins back before turning to the boys,
'You guys go ahead and save us some seats, I'll show her our room and we'll meet you there.'

They traipse off and I follow behind Elsa on the way to an office. There I register with a nice old lady called Mrs. Hopkins before Elsa leads me up flight upon flight of stairs before we finally reach our room.
'Home sweet home.' She says, grinning,
'Just drop your stuff here and we'll go for food, you can unpack later.'
'Alright.' I reply, dumping my suitcase on the only spare bed in the room and returning downstairs with her. This is going to be a lot to get used to.

••Ashton's POV••

I know her.

I must do.

Surely.

She's so familiar.

I've met her before.

But I've no idea who she is....

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
It's shit and short and I'm really sorry it took so long.